Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citrix Servers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Citrix Servers

Hello. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who has done remote access testing with Silk against applications on Citrix Servers? Right now, we have been experiencing problems here with respect to object recognition from applications launched in Citrix Servers. Any information regarding set-up of a test suite for this configuration of remote testing would be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Citrix Servers

Segue doesn't support Citrix. I found this out the hard way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Murn! Glad to read that you've encountered the same problem. Could you provide information as to whether other tools like WinRunner or Robot provide support for Citrix servers. Any information would be most helpful!

[This message has been edited by Gene_A (edited 02-23-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this many moons ago using QAPartner. Segue can do it, but it involves writing your script entirely around bitmap comparisons of the target window. I had enormous problems with timeouts and scaling the test beyond a single machine. Best of luck with this one; I'd be interested if you find a decent solution.

Phil Hollows
    VP Technology
    RadView Software
    VP Product Marketing
    http://www.open.com
    Real time threat correlation and security management

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got this info from our tech rep at Segue because we were interested in seeing if SIlk works on Citrix:
    here is his reponse.....
    Pure Citrix is a rendered environment. SilkTest can use X/Y coordinate recordings and GUI bitmap
    verifications. Unfortunately, Citrix "de-objectifys" the application, so an object oriented testing
    tool like SilkTest can't see the objects because they are intentionally hidden.

However, If you want to test the objects, Segue recommends that you test them where they exist -
    before they are passed through the metaframe manager, in the application itself. In this case, the
    application is usually a VB or C++ implementation and SilkTest will then work with it just fine. This
    is the best place for testing the functionality and setting up regression tests. A couple of X/Y
    coordinate based tests that test the metaframe manager can be set up, but that's just not the place
    to set up the functional testing if you want robust tests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, thanks for the responses! They're proving very helpful already. Unfortunately, based on some recent information that came my way about Robot, I'm going to have to strongly consider Robot as the potential tool for this solution. Rational Corp. claims that Robot DOES provide support for Citrix servers... (I'll need to communicate with them more about this...) although, I'm going to try the bitmapping solution since Silktest is already installed here and it will take a while to implement Robot here from Scratch...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tevron provides the only client side solution for Citrix testing & Citrix load called CitraTest. Nothing is installed on the MetaFrame server and the scripts dynamically search for predefined bitmap images (no X/Y) making the scripts very scalable, repeatable, and easy to maintain.
    www.tevron.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Inferno tool from Gresham Systems Assurance (www.gresham-assurance.com) can test your Citrix deployment from a thin client. This is to say that it can drive events on the Citrix server by interacting only with the Citrix thin client GUI.

Why would you want to this? It's the only way to provide a true end-user test. You could use another tool and test the Citrix server directly, but what would that prove? Users don't access through the Citrix server, but rather through the thin client. That's the basic point of a Citrix deployment.

We are a Citrix business alliance partner, http://www.citrix.com/cba/alliances/gresham.htm, and you can feel free to contact me directly.

Doug Render
    drender@gresham-assurance.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To All,
    I have very successfully used SilkTest with Citrix emulating up to 200 users. Once set up, I did not have any problems. Attached are my notes on setup (word doc). Good luck.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's the Final Answer here?

Murn said:
    "Segue doesn't support Citrix. I found this out the hard way!"

While Kelonski said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelonski:
    To All,
    I have very successfully used SilkTest with Citrix emulating up to 200 users. Once set up, I did not have any problems. Attached are my notes on setup (word doc). Good luck.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you've made SilkTest work with Citrix, can you provide more info on how you've done it?

Thanks!

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast