Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

start a program with double clicking Icon on desktop

Our Java Web Start program can be run using a URL. This is usually how I call it by passing an address to ie.

Once it is installed it actually creates an Icon on the desktop to launch the now cache code.

If I open up the Icon I get the path its calling.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe -localfile "C:\Users\user1\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployme nt\cache\6.0\38\184a30a6-5def7752"

So if I just double click the link this runs the program and is a tad quicker than calling the code again through IE.

But when I try to record these steps nothing is recorded. (do I need to have my desktop as my application configuration)?

Obviously this cached version name is different for each computer and could change over time, so the only consistent way is to double click the link. But that doesn't work.
    Any Idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi,

for interacting with the desktop you need an application configuration for explorer.exe

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Simpler, why don't you just execute the command line using something line ShellExecute?
    //*eggbox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Simpler, why don't you just execute the command line using something line ShellExecute?
    Because you can see from my link (and what I explained before) the program I'm running is a cached version of it with some generated name. Not only would that be different for each machine, but if when a new version comes down I assume that changes as well.

for interacting with the desktop you need an application configuration for explorer.exe
    This is what I was fearful of. The way I open this program is in its own Function. Because its a Sub Function I call, I would need to add the application configuration to EVER script that calls in. You probably are asking why don't you just add the Application Configuration to the Function Script. I wish I could, but Silk Tests Application Configuration is inherited by the Script that calls it. (so it doesn't matter what my application configuration is on Sub Function Scripts).

I wish Silk Test would change it, that if a Parent Script HAS an application Configuration then it uses it, if not, try to use the local or its own Application Configuration. We wouldn't run into this problem were I would need to add an Application configuration to every script, even though its the sub script Function that needs that application.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    As Eggbox explained , command line !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    as I explained... its not the same every time. If somebody wants to explain how to Open Java Web Start program from the command line I would be happy to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi tubaloth,

You can start a desktop shortcut (typically a .lnk file) by passing the name of the shortcut file to cmd.exe like this:

cmd /C "C:/Users/your_user_name/Desktop/name_of_your_shortcut.lnk"

Note that you do not need an application configuration for the explorer.exe in this case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    So at first I didn't think I could call the link because the user name would be different on each machine. But I remembered I could .net had a way to find the current user.

I was trying to us the Shell Command.

Shell("C:\Users\"& Environment.UserName &"\Desktop\CS - Acceptance.lnk")

But I get an error the file doesn't exist. I know it does, I even output this line out copy and past it in a dos window and it opens the program just fine. The only problem I can think of is it needs an EXE ?

So then I tried this

Shell("cmd /C 'C:\Users\"& Environment.UserName &"\Desktop\CS - Acceptance.lnk'")

And that runs (no errors), but nothing happens on my computer.

Any idea?