SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New Unexpected errors since re-install of Silk 5.0.3.

Brian,

You are absolutely correct in that I got 5 errors for each test case. I have taken care of the problem, but in a different way.

Before I blew out my installation, I backed up all of the files in the installation directory. There was one file there that I did not see in the new install named "testplan.ini". This seems to have been put there by the previous engineer. I simply copied the file to the new install directory and my problem was solved.

When I have more time I am going to remove "testplan.ini" and do what you suggested to see if that would correct the problem also. For now, I'm just happy that I was able to get past this.

Thank you very much,

-George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Unexpected errors since re-install of Silk 5.0.3.

I recently uninstalled Silktest because there was a problem with object recognition. Since the re-install, that problem has gone away.

Now I have a new problem.

I'm executing all testcases from a plan file. The plan file goes through a multitestcase which accepts two arguments.

When marking a test case in the plan and running it I get the following error:

"Symbol $TestCaseToRun not defined"

This is one of the parameters for the multitestcase. I've been able to work around this by defining this in the testplan detail. I've noiticed that my results file now looks completely different. No longer do I see a step by step breakdown of everything that happened during the test case. I've been told that these step printouts in the results file come from the recovery system files. I had backed up most of the recovery
    system files from the previous installation just in case, but when I copied them into the new install directory, I still get the same result.

What happened to the setup?

I inherited all this Silktest stuff. I was not the engineer who set up the multitestcase playback on multiple machines and I'm afraid this problem is going to set me back big time! I cannot understand why the error reads "not defined", when clearly it is defined (see below).

This is how my testplan looks:

[-] Notification Special/General Interests Test Case Plan
    [ ] script: s2k_multiple.t
    [ ] testcase: s2kAllTestCases ($MachListFileName, $TestCaseToRun)
    [ ] $MachListFileName = "MachineList.txt"
    [ ]
    [-] N0TIFY_EMAIL_001
    [ ] Engineer: George
    [ ] Product: LLWeb
    [ ] Section: Notification
    [ ] Function: Special Interests
    [ ] Database: 2
    [ ] $TestCaseToRun = "NOTIFY_EMAIL_001"
    [ ]
    [-] N0TIFY_EMAIL_002
    [ ] $TestCaseToRun = "NOTIFY_EMAIL_002"
    [ ]
    [-] N0TIFY_EMAIL_003
    [ ] $TestCaseToRun = "NOTIFY_EMAIL_003"
    [ ]
    [-] N0TIFY_EMAIL_004
    [ ] $TestCaseToRun = "NOTIFY_EMAIL_004"
    [ ]
    [-] N0TIFY_EMAIL_005
    [ ] Database: 3
    [ ] $TestCaseToRun = "NOTIFY_EMAIL_005"

Please help,

-George

bjc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George -

I'm assuming that you are getting this error message multiple times when you try to run a testcase. Silk inherits the value of a symbol on a hierarchal level, so in the case of "N0TIFY_EMAIL_001" you were probably receiving this error message 5 times. If you move the line where you define your symbol "$TestCaseToRun" to the first line in each of your testcases, that value will be passed to your function.

ex:
    Hope this helps -
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of removing testplan.ini you might want to figure out what's in it. This file contains all kinds of attributes and query info that's input to a Silk test plan. VERY valuable file to learn about if you are usnig test plans; even more important the more heavily you use test plans.

Also, testplan.ini can be moved to another directory, such as the directory where all fo your script reside. That way you won't lose it again. Just copy the file to where you want it to be then in SilkTest, pull down the Options menu and pick General. The second field on the right side of the dialogbox is the full path/filename to the testplan.ini file.

If you use version control (please!) then you might want to add it to your VC tool. That way you and others can share the file and be assured that you're all using the same file.

PS: Moving this file and a fwwe others is one of the things I'll be addressing in my presentation at QUEST = SilkTest Configuration Made Easier.