SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HtmlLink within a string seen as HtmlText

I have an a 'htm' page that was generated by the application under test[AUT]. Basically the page consists of various statements that describe the application activity. Within these statements is a link that directly takes you to the page in the application where the activity was performed.

For example:

Document **Test.doc** was added to the Enterprise Workspace

**Test.doc** would be a hyperlink. When clicking on it, it will open the actual document within the application.

Another example would be:

A **reply** has been posted to **Silktest Discussion**

In this example **reply** would link you to the actual reply that has been posted; and **Silktest Discussion** would link you to the main topic page within the application.

Silktest will not recognize these as hyperlinks. Instead it captures each statement as HtmlText.

I've tried to capture screen co-ord's to pass with the click method, but have been unsuccessful in doing so. Silk seems to miss the co-ords when clicking. I have my host machine and target machines set up to the same resolution. I've also added borders to the tables within the page. This helped tremendously because without the border on the table, Silk recognized all the statements (about 25 total) as the same HtmlText.

I am currently using version 5.0.3.2 and testing on IE 5.01SP1.

Is there a way to tell Silk that a hyperlink exists within the HtmlText that it sees?

Thank you in advance,

George Eliopoulos
    mailto: geliopou@opentext.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HtmlLink within a string seen as HtmlText

Hi,

In your declarations try something like,

[-] HtmlLink Reply
    [ ] tag "[HtmlText]Reply"

Have you got 'Underline All Links' switched on in your browser options?

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the post.

Hyperlinks are set to "Always Underline".

I'm not understanding how this declaration can identify just the link within the statement.

[-] HtmlLink Reply
    [ ] tag "[HtmlText]Reply"

Wouldn't the link encompass the whole statement within the previously declared HtmlText?

Thanks,

-George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Geliapou

John's suggestion would work because you are type casting that text to a link. Try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried to make modifications to my declarations file as suggested. I still have not been able to get this to work.

I am very frustrated!

Again, I need to recognize a link within a sentence. I still do not see how these modifications to my .inc file would help me.

As soon as I can get past this, I can wrap up this first project of mine using Silktest!

Thanks,

-George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen situations where an HTML Link was perceived by SilkTest as Text instead. What really confused me is that if I went to another machine, it could see the link! Have you tried on another machine?

The problem turned out to be a corrupted installation of SilkTest. Removing SilkTest, deleting the SilkTest folder, and then reinstalling SilkTest fixed the problem.

If this doesn't work, you can, I believe, actually click on the text. You might have to redefine the Click method for the particular instance of the text to click in an appropriate place. Try getting the rect on the text object and then caculating a point ot click based on the rect.

Good luck

Steve Vizzini
    mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You may want to experiment with setting the Agent options OPT_VERIFY_EXPOSED and OPT_VERIFY_RESPONDING to FALSE?
    Sometimes, depending on how the apps was written (I've only seen this once before), you may have to issue a Right mouse click first followed by the Left mouse click to get some controls to respond.
    Hope this works for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried declaring the pages on a different machine. Actually, I tried on four different machines and I get the same result.

Setting the agent options never really crossed my mind because I've only had to do that when some of my controls were not responding. I will try to experiment with that today.

I've uploaded the 'htm' page in question. Maybe that way if one of you fine QA guru's takes a look at it, you can realize what I need to do. This seems as though it should be very simple, I just can't seem to get it.

Anyway, here is the url to view the page:
    http://it.domaindlx.com/eliopoulos/Notify_4.htm

(sorry about the popup banner; please ignore!)

I need to click and verify every link on the page.

Thanks again for the posts!
    I anxiously await your suggestions.

-George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more thing....

I created a simple <HTML> page with the <body> consisting only of one <a href>.

I opened this page in the browser and made a new test frame on this page. Silk did not see this one link. It picked it up as HtmlText.

Shouldn't Silk be able to recognize one simple hyperlink and properly indentify it?

Could there be a problem with my installation?

Would there be some setting in Silk that I have missed?

Thanks,

-George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem Solved!

There definately was a problem with my installation(s). It seems as though the upgrade to 5032 did me in!

I uninstalled Silktest and reinstalled version 5031 and am now able to properly identify all objects on the page. Only now I am reluctant to install the upgrage again.

Has anyone else had trouble with 5032?

Thanks again to all who posted suggestions.

-George