User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross Platform Testing.

Hi All

I am invloved in cross platform testing of a web application(invloving multiple browsers). I developed a code in NT which works fine for NE475 and IE5. I tried my code on Win98. It works fine for IE5.0.
    But for netscape it gives me an error of file not found. I traced it back to line 639 of netscape.inc which has a statement
    lsPreference = SYS_FileGetContents("{sDir}\pref.js").

Have anyone comeacross this problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cross Platform Testing.

Hi

I was able to figure that out. My silk was installed in D:drive and so it was searching for that file in D:/ProgramFiles/Netscape.

Any suggestions/advices for doing multiple platform/browser testings. I am doing both on a single app.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm... it seems odd. it's supposed to be ...("{sDir}\prefs.js")

and it shouldn't matter where your installation of SilkTest is because prior to line 639 there is a call to get the location of Netscape's user preferences file (prefs.js) thru windows registry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Karl,

In general, if you are doing cross-browser testing, record the declarations on a browser other than Internet Explorer. This is because IE returns more specific information than other browsers and as a result, your scripts may not run on other browsers.

Also keep in mind that IE DOM support is only available for IE5 at this time, so use Virtual Object!! (I believe that support is on the way for Netscape DOM.)

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I did my recording on Ne. and it works well with IE. I would be helped if you can let me know any concerns regarding the compatibiility between diff OS's. I am using Silk 5.0.2
    Platforms 95,98,NT server, NT Ws
    Browsers IE 5 and NE 475

Thanks