User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it really this hard to use.

I am looking for a Test tool for Web Testing; functionality and Performance.

Is Silk really that hard to use ?
    I say this because of the amont of postings for this topic.
    Regards,

Sesame

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is it really this hard to use.

Don't judge a tool by the amount of postings you see; if anything the volume indicates the width of uses and volume of users.

The 2 major tools in the area of web testing (functionality and performance) are Segue's SilkTest and SilkPerformer and Mercury Interactive's WinRunner and LoadRunner.

The tools are not (too) hard to learn, but you need the right skillset; both 4Test and TSL are best used as testware development tools with programmer-types coding the scripts/test architecture. With Silk's oo-basis, you'll need to know some object-orientation, too.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the high amount of SilkTest posts reflects the high interest and amount of users, not the amount of "challenges".
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must beg to differ.

Just a quick scan through the post supports my theory, there seem to be alot people either needing help or not knowing waht to do.
    Or does this mean that Silk's Support and Helpdesk is non-existent ??

What do you use ??
    Regards,

Sesame

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be a mixture of both...

Currently the best source for online support for SilkTest is this forum, and not saying that Segue support does not lack experience, because it does. The tool is still very solid. As to why WinRunner forum is not as active as SilkTest here, because the email list is the most active I've seen anywhere also the Robot email list is more active that both of them since Rational has no training for their tool (which I think they should).

I would love to have more WinRunner posts go this way that's why I'm developing a script to have the daily digests of the WinRunner list, posted in the WinRunner forum and a way to post directly to the list now exists.
    This way you;ll have the most coverage for all tools.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 02-09-2001).]
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>I have also found that many QAers attempting success with automated tools are testers thinking of stepping up from manual testing. They are not trained with the tools and often don't have the proper skills. Programmer-types don't usually enter the QA field, they go into app development (more $)!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a "programmer-type", without a strong background in software evaluation methodology, can also lead to less than successful results. I've watched experienced software developers fail with simple tools like Visual Test in their attempts to produce simple unit level tests. Many failed because they did not understand that an effective test case is merely a sequence of instructions that collectively drive the application under test from an initial stable state, the base state, to a condition where the actual state of the application will be compared to an expected state.

Silk is capable of performing some extrordinary things in the hands of a competent and experienced software evaluation professional with a strong understanding of how to create effective test cases, and a background in OO programming techniques.

IMHO, if you do not possess these skills, and if you bought into the automated test tool salesperson's pitch that you can just rely on the tool's built-in script recording capabilities to create your automated tests, then you are setting yourself up for serious disappointment.

Just my $0.02...

------------------
    Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony;

You are correct. Without programming skills, failure is soon apparent in scripts that break. Without proper testing methodology, however, failure is not so quick (and therefore more insidious); the techies code lots of scripts that still break or produce no added QA value.

(I'm up to $.04 now)
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, this forum has attracted many seasoned, very talented SilkTest developers, on both web and traditional Win32 or Client / Server Win32 apps.

If anyone is stumped, even people that did not RTFM, 4Test reference, or online help, an answer pops up within minutes or hours.

SilkTest has such a powerful and advanced OO language, there's bound to be lots of questions.

One would not say Java and / or C++ are really hard to use, based on the # of posts on USENET, right? And yes, even people post stuff like "I can't get Hello World to compile!"
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I have also found that many QAers attempting success with automated tools are testers thinking of stepping up from manual testing. They are not trained with the tools and often don't have the proper skills. Programmer-types don't usually enter the QA field, they go into app development (more $)!" - JerrySchwartz

How does this explain the discrepancy in the huge number of posts on the Silk forum compared to the other forums? Because that is a very general statement, those same issues would still apply to users of other automated software, but still, Silk seems to have many more questions.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick;

I believe AJ has answered this above.

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast