SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting System Resource Information on Win NT

I am having problems running my SilkTest suite. The problem I believe is that SilkTest, combined with Netscape, and an application that opens and closes many browser windows, I am running out of resources.

I was able to prove that the memory usage was more than my system had (was using 179 MB with 128 MB of physical memory). So, I was able to get another 128 MB SIMM. Script is working better, but still can not complete (with no other applications running on Win NT Wrkst).

I believe that the processing power just isn't enough. I would like to be able to get the Free Resource information at various stages of test. However, the SilkTest function "SYS_GetFreeResources ()" only works on Win 3.1 systems (who is really using a Win 3.1 system these days?).

Has anyone written a function to get the CPU Usage for Windows NT?

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting System Resource Information on Win NT

Hey David,

I can tell that you downloaded the memory functions available in the download section of betasoft.com.

NT has a different way of memory management than 98/95. The functions in memory.inc offer you many types of NT memory, including totalvirtual (which is what you need). This is NT's used swap.

Note that NT does not have an easy way to get GDI/USER resources like in 95/98. It manages memory in a completely different way.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I was using the functions written by David Reed for Memory reading (all though I looked at yours to see what was there).

What I really need is to get the CPU Usages when Silk runs and is interacting with the Browser, since I think this is where my problem is at (all though it could be a slow network connects too).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try the function SYS_GetMemoryInfo(). It works in NT with QAP 4.6.2, and is listed in the 5.0 help (I just upgraded to 5.0, so am not very good at it, and haven't tried it there).
    It returns in a different format than SYS_GetFreeResources, so you will probably want to read the help for it.