Thread: HTML Table

bjc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Table

I am testing a web application (Silk 5.0.3.2)(IE 5) that contains an HTML Table that is dynamically built.

If all the cells within the rows are populated with data (HtmlText), I don't run into any problems. When the cells do not have any data in them, Silk identifies the cell as CLASS: HtmlImage. Unfortunately because the table is dynamic, I can't use Caption or Prior Text for the Tag information.

I thought that I would be able to get away with using an Index, because the table does have a maximum # of rows. I tried declaring the page with the max number of rows populated, but when a cell doesn't have any data in it an HtmlImage is put in place of the HtmlText. When this happens the Index values change, and I find myself going around in circles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HTML Table

Similar thing happened to me. I switched to IE 5.5 and the DOM Extension in SilkTest and now I can see the Text fields all the time. It's not easy changing over to DOM. I had to edit domex.ini and extend.ini manually to get the changes to take.

E-mail me directly if you need more information.
    Tom

bjc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmason:
    Similar thing happened to me. I switched to IE 5.5 and the DOM Extension in SilkTest<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm already using the DOM Ext with Silk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try installing IE 5.5. Mine did not work until I went with IE 5.5.
    Tom

bjc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'll try it with IE 5.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sampat is right !! Set Domex.ini BorderlessTables setting to 0. Then only tables which have borders will be seen as tables.

The table cells probably have a small image in then for a placeholder. Its probably the same background color as the table itself, so the user doesn't see it. If you View Source or ask your local friendly developer, you may find an small (hidden) image in the cell.

Getting used to looking at HTML can really help in understanding Silk's eccentricities !!!

Hope this helps

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case of such dynamic pages, I would suggest using DOM with BorderLessTable setting to 0 (zero). This way, Silk won't recognize any borderless table. This may help you if your tables have no borders and you can interact with the contents inside the table directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all, If I recall was there not a bug in silk when using DOM? When I began creating an automation infrastructre(using 5.0.3.1) we had alot of problems working with controls in HTML when DOM was on it actually crashed the browser. So we created our own functionality that searches for HTML controls on a web page including tables and any data within tables with no DOM. we did this by using the getcontents and getchilderen methods and searching for the control in the array...but we had to go into the ASP pages and inc files and turn the borders to on(border=1 or border="1") once we did that silk then could find the tables(and any other control on the web page) and get any column counts and column names. I did not know about setting the BorderlessTables setting to 0 in Domex.ini file. By changing this would this effect me by having DOM on or off with the way I currently do it? I guess what I am getting at is did I miss something by not having DOM on, was there something I could do to make DOM work? was there an actual bug in silk when DOM was turned on or did I just not use silk properly with DOM on?

tmason- you had to edit domex.ini and extend.ini to get DOM to work properly could you send me how you did that? That would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I explained everything ok...let me know if you need more info?

james

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bjc

I had a similar kindof problem. For me silk recognised it as multiple tables. So I had a dll written which would get the data from the source of the page and store it in a file and then i would read the file using silk. And this had solved a lot of problems. Please do let me know if you need further help.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jamesa00 -

In SilkTest go to Help / Help Topics and type in "Additional information about DOM". Note under HtmlForm the following:

"To recognize HtmlForm, edit the domex.ini file in the extend directory and add the following line in the "[Options]" section: ShowHtmlForm=TRUE."

I am using SilkTest 5.03.02, which may make a difference.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast