Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running scripts on Unix

Silk says it can not record on Unix.
    But scripts recorded on NT can play back on
    Unix. (asuming %100 Java Standaole Application)

I have not tried this yet ( still waiting for a Unix computer to be available)

I'm wondering about stuff like path names.
    For example, on NT my install path is different than Unix.
    NT - c:\program files\...
    Unix - usr\...

Do I need to manully change all these path values in my script to get it to run on Unix?

What else do i need to keep in mind to assure my script is portable?
    Do I need to avoid functions that use clipboard? I don't think these are used in unix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Running scripts on Unix

Hi,

In order to test Java applications on Unix, you will need to use the SilkBean. You record your tests on NT. You then connect to the SilkBean sitting on the Unix box and playback your scripts. Check out the SilkTest help file - 'SilkBean'.

John.

------------------

John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John O'Neill:
    Hi,

In order to test Java applications on Unix, you will need to use the SilkBean. You record your tests on NT. You then connect to the SilkBean sitting on the Unix box and playback your scripts. Check out the SilkTest help file - 'SilkBean'.

John.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, thanks I will study Silkbean, but I'm wondering about the portability issues that I previously mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It seems like there is a bit of confusion here, Raul? Did you happen to read the SilkTest Release Notes (see Supported environments...)? Are you thinking that you will be able to install SilkTest on your Unix machine? Or maybe you are looking for keywords to search from the Online Help such as GetGUIType and the switch statement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gilbert:
    It seems like there is a bit of confusion here, Raul? Did you happen to read the SilkTest Release Notes (see Supported environments...)? Are you thinking that you will be able to install SilkTest on your Unix machine? Or maybe you are looking for keywords to search from the Online Help such as GetGUIType and the switch statement?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am aware that Silk Bean (not SilkTest)is installed on the Unix machine .

My question is simply what guidelines to follow to ensure that my .t scripts are portable to Unix.

For example, I use Clipboard functions in my NT scripts. These will fail when run on Unix.

I will have to remove these lines in order to make it work on Unix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the paths being different on different operating systems ... Read in the online help about "GUI identifiers" and see if that helps.

[This message has been edited by pcostigan (edited 02-09-2001).]