User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Silk Test to read incoming email

Hi Folks,

I am getting down to the business of creating a seriously cool smoke testing environment for GorillaPark using Segues Silk Test5.0.3

What I wish to do is have a Silk Test machine sitting waiting. Developers can send an email to this machine containing the location of the build they wish to test, and which test cases.

I want the SilkTest machine to detect when this email arrives. At the moment I have OutLook2000 installed, and I presume I need to detect when the:
    "You have new mail do you wish to read it now?"
    dialogue appears on the screen.

Then I wish to open the mail and parse the contents.

Any Silk gurus out there got a way to detect this incoming mail and read it?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting Silk Test to read incoming email

I'm not sure how you could have SilkTest "sit" waiting, but maybe you could make use of SilkTest's command line ability.

Have developers email a batch file containing the necessary command, and the receiving machine automatically run the file, which would startup SilkTest and run the specified script. Of course this might depend on the email system being used, and if it could be configured to run something upon receiving a particular email. Outlook could handle this.

I know that because of the way Microsoft develops it's software, SilkTest will recognize The majority of Outlook's objects as CustomWins, which could pose a problem in getting SilkTest to control Outlook. That's why I suggested having Outlook's "Rules Wizard" handle the work of running something upon receiving a particular email, and then let SilkTest do the rest.

[This message has been edited by BostonSilk (edited 02-01-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds to me like you are lining yourself up for some unnecessary heartache with this approach as:

1) Microsoft apps (such as Outlook) are notoriously hard to conduct _reliable_ automation against due to large number of complex custom classes.

2) You are introducing an additional potential point of failure into the automated test process - the mail server (especially if it's Exchange ;-))

A more reliable solution may be to monitor the build directories for new versions of the AUT (i.e. not present at last run of tests) containing all required files (to avoid starting before build is complete or still copying over) and then kick-off the tests.

That said, this may not suit in your particular scenario (since it doesn't give the developer the final opportunity to say 'there it is: this is the build for testing' etc).

The suggestion of a batch file above also sounds like a strong (perhaps stronger) candidate.

To get tests to run perpetually I usually either:

1) Wrap the entire test in a while(TRUE) loop and put a sleep at the bottom of the loop for as long as you want to wait before the next iteration.

2) Use scheduling software to call your automation tool from the command line.

Hope this helps,

'Automatrix'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats quite a good idea, to get OutLook to do most of the work. I am sniffing through the rules options in OutLook to see if I can get it trigger off:
    a - Dumping the text of the mail to some file
    b - Starting a SilkTest which reads the file

Thanks for your help, I will post how I got on with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that the Windows "Messenger Service" is more reliable for this type of thing than email.
    Most beginners don't even realize that it exists.

To try it, bring up a Command Prompt and enter the following command:

C:\> net send ComputerName run smoke test

The following sample script will handle your test dispatching:

Hope this helps:
    Rob

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 02-01-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...net send...

Neat, simple solution - maximum respect!

'Automatrix'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Automatrix !
    It is not too often us testers get respect

The completion of this scheme, is when you get SilkTest to send a message BACK to you when your test is done.
    This code will help you do that:

( I think this works on Windows NT and 2000 only -- not 95/98 )
    -Rob

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 02-01-2001).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com