SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser / E-mail Client Communication

I'm in the process of automating a group of test cases for our company.
    The test cases involve e-mail notification from the web-app.
    The notifications that are sent out to the e-mail recipient contain links
    which need to be clicked and verified that they go to the correct corresponding
    page in the web-app.

Has anyone done any similar automation of this type? I'm confused about the extension enabler.
    Can Silk bounce between the e-mail client (in this case Outlook Express) and the web-app?

I've automated all the steps leading up to the actual notification. Now I must automate the following:

1. Invoke Outlook Express:INBOX
    2. Search for and open specific e-mail
    3. Verify that the correct links appear
    4. Click on each link and verify that they take you to the right page in the web-app

Can this all be done from within the same test case? I have a separate frame file with the
    declarations for Outlook Express, which I guess needs to be pointed to in Options:Runtime:Use Files.
    How would the target machines be set up so that they can communicate between Outlook and the Browser
    during the same test case playback?

These test cases will be played back on mulitple target machines, from a multitestcase,
    each with a different OS paired with IE5. The Silktest version we are currently using is 5031.
    The host machine is NT Server.

Any general or specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

G. Eliopoulos
    mailto:geliopou@opentext.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Browser / E-mail Client Communication

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geliopou:
    I'm in the process of automating a group of test cases for our company.
    The test cases involve e-mail notification from the web-app...
    ...Can Silk bounce between the e-mail client (in this case Outlook Express) and the web-app?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about going from the e-mail client to the web app with regard to the extensions. I haven't had the pleasure of working through that situation. :-)

If you run into problems, you might try setting up a rule (filter) in Outlook instead of accessing it directly. Because you can tell Outlook to launch a program or do any number of things on the arrival of a particular email (in this case on the arrival of your email), you could probably set it up to write to a text file or copy a text file into a predetermined location, then have SilkTest read or detect that file at the appropriate time. Upon success, Silk will have determined whether the email actually got to Outlook, and you will never have had to access it directly.

This is off the top of my head. Maybe it wouldn't work, and maybe it's just easier to go between outlook and silk. But it's something to think about if all else fails...

Erich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had to work with Outlook (although I have played with it some) but I recall several postings in the past few months about Outlook. You might want to go search for them and see if they help. If nothing else you'll find users who are also trying to work with Outlook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I appreciate all suggestions for this dilema of mine. Unfortunately, I am still unable to get past this. It seems as though what I'm trying to do is very simple. I am able to invoke Outlook Express from the test case after all necessary steps in the web application. However, once it is invoked, the focus goes back to the browser and the test case halts. I am not able to perform any steps within Outlook express, which I need to do.

All I need to do is the following:

1. Locate the specific e-mail.
    2. Save As...or.....Save Attachment

From there I can open the file in the browser and verify the links that appeared in the body of the e-mail.

The 'AUT' is a document management tool(internet/intranet based). The specific area that I am testing is Notification. When actions are performed on a user's documents by another user of the application, he/she is notified via e-mail of the events that occured. The events are hyperlinked so that the user can click on the link in the message and it will take him to the specific page in the application so he/she can view the modifications that were made to his/her documents within the application.

This is my first real project at my job. I've been using Silk for less than 2 months and I desperately need to get past this and complete my project.

If there are any other details I can provide about this automation please e-mail me.

Thank you,

George Eliopoulos
    geliopou@opentext.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlook and Outlook Express are notoriously difficult to automate.
    This is only because Microsoft uses so many custom objects that SilkTest does not recognize.

If you can use another email program -- like Eudora -- do it.

If not, you should turn on the ActiveX extension for "OUTLOOK.EXE".
    (Outlook Express probably has another EXE name).
    Many of the Outlook controls are ActiveX.

Search the forum for more detailed instructions.

-Rob
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob,

Thank you for the reply.
    I've been able to successfully do what I need to do in Outlook when the testcase is separate from everything else.

In other words, I've been able to:
    1. Invoke Outlook
    (I perform this step with a function that I wrote which invokes the run dialog box and passes the path to the Outlook executable)
    2. Save the most current e-mail to an htm file
    3. Or Save the attachment to a specified directory

The problems start when I try to integrate that stand alone script into my current web app test cases and when I add the Outlook declarations to my current declarations page(consisting of browser pages).

This is very frustrating because I only need to perform two very simple steps in Outlook. At this point I'm even considering manually saving the e-mails to a specified folder and then kicking off another test case that does the verifications against these saved files.

I guess I just have to keep plugging away!

Thanks again,

Please reply or e-mail with any other suggestions.

George
    geliopou@opentext.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never had to put both Web tests and Application tests together in a single script.

There was an aside in a recent thread (I think by pcostigan) that says that it is not a big problem.
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your problem...

I have done very similar thing before...

Don't declare Outlook express in a different file than the browser stuff... instead have Outlook as a MainWin with an invoke method of it's own.

You can mix and match browser testcases and do verification with a non-browser app like Outlook. The catch is switching between them.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George,
    I am in a similar position. I have a windows app that launches a browser and does it's thing on the web. I am stumped but I have a lead. I am going to ask a contractor at http://www.automationexpertise.com/ for help even if it cost me. You might wnat to try it. They may have a minimum fee for a phone call.
    Good luck.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank,

Thanks. I do have that in mind. I hope everything works out for you and any suggestions in the future would be appreciated.