User Tag List

Thread: Base State?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Base State?

Not sure what the manual means by driving the app to a expected state and returning to the base state. How does it apply to my case?

I'm testing a wizard type of application

Launch App - Click Start Run Button from Windows
    Populate Dialog 1
    Populate Dialog 2
    Verify results in Dialog 3
    Exit the application

I'll have to study it again but this tool feels difficult and awkward at first glance.

(I've used Rational Visual Test for a year, so I'm not exactly a novice)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Base State?

Raul,

From the information you have given, I would say the DefaultBaseState would be the application just after it has been invoked. You should also configure the recovery system so that it knows how to exit out of your application while on any page. When the next test starts, it will then invoke the application for you. This can probably be achieved by adding a BaseState method to your first window declaration.

The point of the recovery system is that it enables SilkTest to continue testing correctly if a serious error occurs. In your case, imagine the scenario that on Dialog 2, an error occurs in your application and a modal message is displayed. SilkTest would be unable to continue the test it is on because an unexpected modal window is present. When the test fails however, instead of starting the next test and probably failing because the modal window is still present, the recovery system will dismiss the message, shutdown and restart the app (because you have configured it to do so), so the next test will pass or fail in its own right.

The power in the recovery system is that it does not care if the error occurs on the first, second or third screen, it will always deal with it in the same way.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions.

Paul

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe
    http://www.automationexpertise.com
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe
    http://www.automationexpertise.com