SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Running TestSCripts from TestPlan

We have test scripts with 600-800 test cases in some scripts.We have a plan run all these from plan and some times we want to run from scripts main routine. Is there any way directly running the test script from test plan with out specifying the test cases listed.
    I mean the plan can influence the main() routine so that we do not have to list all the test cases in plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Running TestSCripts from TestPlan

have you tried using a suite instead of a plan?

We have not plan to run suite file.Until I rule out the possiblity of running scripts with out listing testcases from plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a main function that runs the testcases, you can call this from the test plan. You just need to specify it instead of a testcase ie in your plan put:
    Main function for running all tests
    testcase: main

If you mark just this test and run in in the plan, it will run the script.

I hope this is what you where looking for.

Paul

PS You might want to have a look at the SilkOrganizer tutorial on the Automation Expertise web site.

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe http://www.automationexpertise.com

[This message has been edited by Paul Tucker (edited 01-25-2001).]
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Thanks Very Much, It works great

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't recommend doing calling main() from your plan for it may mess up your results file, unless you have a mechanism to make the results file comprehensible. the thing is, doing it that way, will not show you the testcases that passed or failed. it just treats main() as the only testcase and your actual testcases called from main() just function calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

kalabog is right about running main from a test plan not showing which tests pass, however it will show which tests fail. Each testcase that fails will generate a failure in the testplan. The details in this failure state which testcase has failed.

If you need more information than the default reports on which tests pass or fail, you can have SilkTest print information out by using the TestcaseExit function. A simple example of what you can do is in the attached file.

Paul

I have not been able to upload the file to QA Forums, but you can download it from the library in the resources section on the Automation Expertise web site.

------------------
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe http://www.automationexpertise.com

[This message has been edited by Paul Tucker (edited 01-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Tucker (edited 01-26-2001).]
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Using the main () function in the testplan may work for you but I don't see the benefit of doing it this way. (you might as well run the whole script without going thru the testplan)
    I guess it's okay if you don't want to take advantage of being able to just mark and run selected testcases by choice, by query or by test failure as well as track Manual tests and showing additional comments that display in the results file.
    Splitting a large testplan into smaller sub-plans also helps.