I just sent the following note to QAPUSER. I see that AJ's new forum software is now in place here and than a mailing list has already been created on onelist.

Bret

-------------------
This is an update to the post i sent out earlier this week, but which at the time of this writing has still not been distributed to the list.

I have received a few replies, which are attached below. Let me summarize them.

1. Two people report that they have been unable to recently subscribe to QAPUSER.
2. Betasoft.com is encouraging people to use their web-based discussion forums.
3. People need a forum and agree that QAPUSER no longer serves the purpose.

Please let me know if you have been able to subscribe to QAPUSER successfully since the end of April.

I spent some time this week investigating onelist.com. They provide free mailing list hosting, with all the usual options, including archives, shared files, digests, etc. It also appears to be less administrative overhead than majordomo. I've hosted several lists with majordomo. The main hassle is unsubscribing users from abandoned accounts. This can be a big job when a list exceeds a hundred people. I'm not sure how many people are on QAPUSER or would want to join a replacement mailing list. The one drawback to onelist.com is that it contains advertising. A small tag line is added to each email message and the web site contains banner ads.

Those of you who feel strongly about this issue may want to go to betasoft for the moment where it is easier to have a discussion. I usually don't hang out there, but will be for the next week or so.

Bret

-------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:06:45 -0700 (PDT)
To: bret@dev.tivoli.com
Reply-To: 295+silk@betasoft.com, aalhait@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Is QAPUSER dead?

Hi Bret and all,

The alias is not dead, but I think they're having the digest sent every week instead of every day (saving bandwidth)

Here's some good news.

I've purchased what I consider the best forums script out there and I've installed it on betasoft.com. (By the way we are betasoft.com without the "-" now. We also purchased that domain, so please update your links and bookmarks.

I haven't published the new forums yet. I'm currently populating the new forum with the old forums postings. Guess what I used to do that

It's taking so long because I had to modify the script to add the existing features (being able to post to qapuser and newsgroups) Plus this script has many more features that I was slow in implementing because I was writing it from scratch. These new features include Search, Registration, Subscribing to digests (you get sent a digest when there are multiple new postings). Plus the ability to modify and delete postings, and the ability to setup preferences, and know what is new since your last visit.

Also notice the new links page. (That is already up). I consider it to be the QA yahoo. But I need more links, so if you have recommendations, please submit them.

Please understand that I'm working hard to get the new script up and running ASAP. I think it should be up by next week.

And please understand that this new forum works together with QAPUSER.

Thanks for your patience

-AJ

NOTE: If you have forgotten where you have posted your original post, upon which I am replying now, then go to http://www.betasoft.com/forums/silk/forum.html
Or please use the Reply-To address when replying through email.

----------------------------------------------------

To: 294+silk@betasoft.com, bret@dev.tivoli.com, forum@betasoft.com
Subject: RE: [Silk Users], Is QAPUSER dead?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:11:34 -0700

Yeah, I've notice a trickle of e-mails lately instead of the usual batch.
I'm so disgusted with segue right now and would like an active forum to
gripe about some of the silk5.0 issues. Unfortunately, I don't know of
another host. But please keep me informed.

best of luck,

ShaneD

-------------------------------

Subject: Re: Fwd: Is QAPUSER dead?
To: Bret Pettichord <bret@dev.tivoli.com>
Cc: segue-arch@lists.io.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:18:40 GMT

While I totally agree that the change in policy is a rather silly one, I
also think it should be Segue (and not the users) that spend the time and
effort to moderate a mailing list that totals out to be free advertising
and product support for them. Looks pretty bad on the side of the
manufacturer if they're not able/willing to support a mailing list for one
of their main products.

: - )
Stephan

-------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:07:57 -0700
To: <bret@dev.tivoli.com>
Subject: QAPUSER

Bret,

I have been trying unsuccesfully to get into the QAPUSER group for a couple of months now with no response from Segue. I am very interested in anything that you get started up.

Nadine Parmelee <nparmele@oacis.com>
Sr. Automation Engineer
Oacis Healthcare Systems
1101 Fifth Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
(415) 482-4437
Fax (415) 482-4455

----------------------------------------------

To: "'Bret Pettichord'" <bret@dev.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: Is QAPUSER dead?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:10:04 -0700

Bret,

I agree with you. Usually a person is seeking help/advice sends a post, one or
more people respond, the original poster responds with more info or more
questions, people respond to the reposts etc. This process used to take a couple
days. Now it may take weeks. People posting to the list are looking for a "timely"
response. The list no longer meets this need. Hence the number of posts
are down.

Unfortunately I don't know of a place to host the list.

Jeff Petersen

--------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 05:28:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: bret@dev.tivoli.com
Reply-To: 306+silk@betasoft.com, tony_martine@gale.com
Subject: Re: Is QAPUSER dead?

I just started using Silk and could really use this forum. I belong to the SQA Robot mailing list and it is great. I have actually posted a few questions to that list because QAP would not even respond to my subscribe e-mail. If you find a place, please let me know. I would be very interested. Also, let me know if I can help you out with anything in regards to getting this going.

Thanks,

Tony Martine
The Gale Group
Cambridge, MA

NOTE: If you have forgotten where you have posted your original post, upon which I am replying now, then go to http://www.betasoft.com/forums/silk/forum.html
Or please use the Reply-To address when replying through email.

--------------------------------------------------------------