SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange Class Mapping behavior with Java (SilkTest bug ?)

Colleagues:

I am using SilkTest 5.03.2 with the Sun Java 1.2.2.

Our developers are starting to make our Java standalone applications look pretty.
    They have been adding a lot of Java objects that SilkTest normally hides -- mostly frames like:

javax.swing.JPanel
    javax.swing.JLayeredPane
    javax.swing.JViewport

If I go to SilkTest's "Record Class" dialog and check "Show All classes"; I can see all of these objects. If I leave "Show All classes" checked, then close the "Record Class" dialog, and bring up "Record Window Declarations", I see my usual GUI objects nested inside of dozens of "custom" object frames. Leaving "Show All classes" checked also changes the way that the SilkTest Agent acts at runtime. If I want to be able to recognize my usual GUI objects, I need to recapture the windows with "Show All classes" checked and I need to change my references to these objects to include all of the frames that they are enclosed in. (This creates some ridiculously long object references)

This means that there are two, quite different, environments in which I can develop tests:
    1. With "Show All classes" unchecked -- only useful objects show up and references are clean and simple. (this is what I have been doing, up to now)
    2. With "Show All classes" checked -- this enables me to use the Exists() and Click() methods on some custom objects, but it forces me to reference all of the "normal" objects with ridiculously long references.
    I can simplify this with declarations like: "window Simple = big.mess.of.nested.objects", but this only helps a little.

First Issue:
    I think that the way the "Record Class", "Show All classes" checkbox acts is a bug in the SilkTest Java extension. It overrides the setting of the "Record Window Declarations Options", "Show ignored windows" checkbox. I do not think it is supposed to so this. I also do not think that it is supposed to change the way the Agent sees objects at runtime. As I understand it, only Class Mapping should do this. The checkbox should let me choose hidden objects for mapping and then turn itself off when I am done. Can someone tell me if my understanding is correct ?

Second Issue:
    I have been doing all of my work so far with "Show All Classes" unchecked. But now, our developers have added a custom "Spinner" that I have been trying to map to either a "TextField" or a "JavaJFCUpdown". Even after mapping, SilkTest does not see this object UNLESS the "Show All classes" checkbox is checked. If I did this, it would make a big mess out of all of my object references and it would require that I recapture all of my window declarations. I really don't want to do this.

To avoid this problem, I have tried mapping the custom frames to "Ignore" or "LookUnder" to make this spinner visible with "Show All classes" unchecked. So far, I have not found anything that works.

Also, I can not find a good explanation of how mapping to "Ignore" and "LookUnder" is supposed to work in either SilkTest online Help or the "User's Guide" or the "4Test Language Reference" for version 5.01.

I am doing something completely wrong ? Can someone explain this to me ?
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Strange Class Mapping behavior with Java (SilkTest bug ?)

Without going into or explaining everything, look into the javaex.ini file which has a section in which you can ignore or not ignore classes. IF this helps great, if not good luck with Segue...
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Strange Class Mapping behavior with Java (SilkTest bug ?)

Tony:
    Thanks for tip and the fast reply
    I had never noticed that section in Javaex.ini.

It seems to be doing something...
    I not not sure if it solves my problem yet.

In the mean time I have emailed the question the Segue support. Maybe in a week or two I will have their answer

- Rob
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com