User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.0.3.2 and Windows 2000

I am encountering a problem "kicking off" scripts when using Windows 2000. The agent calls the application to be tested, however the application's taskbar button just blinks (indicating that it has control but is not maximized or in view). In order for the script to run, I have to manually click the blinking button to maximize the application; after this, the script runs fine.

After the successful run of the script the control is placed back to SilkTest (result screen). Now, the SilkTest button on the taskbar blinks, indicating control but not maximized. I have to manually click to view this as well.

I assume this is a Windows 2000 issue and that there may be a simple setting to change; I obviously haven't found a solution yet. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with a possible solution.

[This message has been edited by MDelGrosso (edited 02-09-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest 5.0.3.2 and Windows 2000

I am having the same problems using Win 2000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmitriy94:
    I am having the same problems using Win 2000.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes Win-2000 does this with any application, it is not specific to Silk.
    Try using XXXXX.setactive() to bring the window to the foreground. Or if you click on the window that will also bring it to the foregound.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sometimes Win-2000 does this with any application, it is not specific to Silk.
    Try using XXXXX.setactive() to bring the window to the foreground. Or if you click on the window that will also bring it to the foregound.

Reply:
    Unfortunately, the XXX.SetActive() call is where the problem is occurring. In Win.9x and NT etc. the SetActive() method brought the window into the foreground; it's not working the same with Win2000. On running the script, the Runtime status displays a call to xxx.SetActive() and will "time-out" after 3 minutes if I don't push the blinking application button on the taskbar. I am working on possible solutions, but I will still appreciate any more insight. -md

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone got a reply from Tech Support about this yet? We don't use Test yet, but when we start to, I believe it will be on W2K, so seeing this post makes me a bit leery.
    It Depends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have stayed at SilkTest 5.0.3.1, I don't have browser tests so the upgrade to 5.0.3.2 did not seem necessary at this time for me.
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this when I tried to use 5.0.3 (or 5.0.3.1) on Windows 2000. When I uninstalled 5.0.3.1, and then installed 5.0.3.2, the problem disappeared.

If this is a clean installation of 5.0.3.2, then I don't have an answer for you. But if this is an "upgraded" installation of Silk, then my guess is that the uninstall wasn't as clean as it needed to be.

Whenever this kind of funny business crops up with Silk, uninstalling and reinstalling is often the fix. However, be warned: when uninstalling, be sure to delete the folder from the old installation before installing the new Silk version. Apparently, some files from the old version do not get uninstalled and then do not get updated with the new version.

Good luck

------------------
    Steve Vizzini
    Test Automation Developer
    mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone else that is experiencing this problem, I contacted Seque's tech support regarding this issue; the following segments are pasted from the reply:

...Essentially this condition is restricted to the
    windows 2000 platform and has been logged as a bug with development. I can
    acknowledge that this can be a minor irritation especially if you have to
    leave your machine when test is running. As you know simply clicking the
    taskbar is a work around for this...

...Unfortunately there is nothing you can set to resolve this issue but by
    clicking on the blinking application on the taskbar it will continue on for
    you...

...Thank you for your call but should you have any other queries or comments
    regarding this issue please do not hesitate in contacting me...

Kind Regards
    Martin McCrystal.
    Segue Software Engineer
    Tel: 781 402 5900
    Fax: 048 90260026

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDelGrosso,
    Hopefully Segue has internally triaged this as more important than indicated in the email you received.

I imagine most of us write tests that runs unattended! For example, whenever the build is done at my work (could be 2AM), the automated smoketest is invoked. Having to babysit the task bar would be a major drag!
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/F...ML/001299.html

This is my original posting from a few weeks ago. This problem is really doing my head in. At least I now know that it is isolated to Win2K.

I wonder if as a workaround I could open Task Manager and 'Switch to...' .. hmmm.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast