Thread: Options Set

bjc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Options Set

I am in the process of turning over a set of scripts to our QC department. When I was developing these scripts, I created an Options Set which points to various libraries, window declarations, paths, etc.

Is there a way to have Silk load this Options Set automatically, or will the users be required to set this up manually?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Options Set

Yes.
    If you are using the Organizer (plan level) you can use an optionset: line to load the option set. This is useful if your tests have optionset dependencies. I use this method two different projects I maintain. The new project I use has 2 option sets, and the old one has over 20.

You can also do it explicitly with the Agent options, but I've not used this method.

As a matter of practice my option sets are in the project directory, and are under source control just like other scripts, include files, and support files.
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

The option file loaded when SilkTest is launched is controlled by the "OptionSet" variable in the PARTNER.INI file. I don't know of any command line switch that could be used to pass to partner.exe the name of an option file.

If you are using testplan files then you might try the following (I got this from the SilkTest help file):

You can now specify in a testplan options sets to be used with the testplan or parts of it. Using this feature you can automatically run different tests that require different options without having to manually open options sets.
    Specify the following statement in the testplan:

optionset: file.opt

Dependent testcases will run with the specified options set opened. The options set will be closed when it passes out of scope. If you don't specify a full path name, the file is considered to be in a directory relative to the directory containing the current testplan or subplan.

bjc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footnote: I am considering addressing topics such as options sets and .ini files in a QUEST presentation. Haven't decided on a good title yet but it's basically covering stuff that will make your life much easier if you have to maintain Silk configurations on multiple machines. This could be a lab environment and/or several Silk developers/users on several machines.