SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can silk test the application which is launched from *.exe file?

I got the SETUP1.EXE file from developers. The SETUP1.EXE that
    launches the install process for iAS(the application under the test) is a binary executable
    that is created in C++ to handle functions that OUI(Oralce universal installer, pure java
    application) cannot take care of internally. As a result, there are no Java classes
    available until the binary EXE invokes the secondary OUI-based SETUP2.EXE in the
    .\install\win32 directory. I also got the batch file OUI.BAT which does exactly the same as
    what the SETUP2.EXE does. here is what I've done to set up.
    1. add Silktest_java1.jar to the classpath by setting->control panel->system->environment.
    2. set internal and external extension to point to java application.
    3. Record the custom classes
    4. silk doesn't recoginzed the objects of the application launched from SETUP1.EXE when I do
    the window decalaration.
    5. Everything works fine if I use OUI.BAT file to lauched the OUI by add Silktest_java1.jar
    to the classpath of OUI.BAT file as well.
    6. my problem is that the install process launched from SETUP1.EXE is different than the one
    from OUI.BAT(or SETUP2.EXE),Since the OUI launcher(OUI.BAT or SETUP2.EXE) is basically
    spawned from SETUP1.EXE. I don't if silk is able to test application launched
    from *.exe file.

Thanks in advanced for you helps.
    Hua Yao
    SQA III

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can silk test the application which is launched from *.exe file?

Try adding the name of the .exe in the extension enabler of silk and the agent. We test a similar situation and I had to add my exexutable to the list of exe's Silk looks at as a java app.
    It will work.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can silk test the application which is launched from *.exe file?

Silk is usually run against an .exe file. The only situation that I know of where Silk CANNOT run against an .exe file is a Java app. The reason is that the API that Silk (and other automation tools) needs is not provided via the .exe file. So Java apps HAVE to be run via the .jar file.

I'm a bit confused about what you are asking beyond that. If it helps, I have 2 apps that I test. One is Java and one is C/C++. I have the Java extensions turned "on" and the appropriate Silk .jar file included in my classpath per the Java setup instructions. I do not have to remove, undo, or turn anything off when I switch over to my C/C++ app.

The big difference is in regard to how each app is actually invoked. For the C/C++ app the sCmdLine value is simply the full path and filename of the .exe file. But for the Java app the sCmdLine value starts with the full path to the jave.exe file then a few otions for java.exe then a semicolon, the full path to the appropriate silktest_java<n>.jar file, semicolon, the full path to my actual app's .jar file and any command line parameters or options that it needs.

If you'd like to pursue this in more detail off-line, e-mail me directly at pcostigan@websense.com.

[This message has been edited by pcostigan (edited 01-17-2001).]