Thread: HTML Tables

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Tables

Hi Everyone

I have some problems when recording a HTML table.First it depends on which browser i am using. Second, each time when i try declaring the table the declaration changes and i think it changes depending on whether i click on it or not. But I am not sure. Mine is a dynamic table. Some times i can get really big tables. If anyone knows the solution to this problem please do reply to message.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HTML Tables

I'm not sure about your declarations problem, but you can handle dynamic tables by using the RowCount method. Use it in a for loop and retrieve text using the GetRowText method. It helps if the number of columns is constant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandeep,
    In my experience, Silk has problems parsing HTML tables depending on the number of rows and graphical elements in the table. Declarations for the same table can range from loose elements on a page to one or more HTMLTable declarations depending on how much and what kind of data is in it. IMHO this is one of the weakest areas of Silk, betraying its roots in client-server and desktop application testing.

I'm not sure from your posting what the specific problem with your application is but from our experience here, I can give you general recommendations:

1) if you can confine your automated testing of these tables to IE5 (or soon, we hope, Netscape 6) you might be able to convince the development team to put in unique "id" tags for each element in the HTML that it is important for Silk to "see". You can argue this makes for better, more XML-like HTML which might interest some of them . This would include the table cells of dynamic tables. Then you could make your declarations using Silk's IE (and, again soon, we hope, Netscape 6) DOM feature. This feature reads the id tags so you can declare all meaningful objects on your pages using these tags. If you were also testing in NS4.x and IE4 you would have to switch back to the VO which is Silk's legacy technology. This involves two sets of declarations, one for DOM and the other for VO. DOM also has the advantage of allowing you to set the sensitivity of the Agent to see or not see HTML tables depending upon how many lines there are in them. With VO you are stuck with "factory" settings.

2) If you need to have a single set of scripts you might have to have multiple declarations for tables depending on their configuration/contents if this is within reason. This is not a very good solution.

3) If the development team is really committed to automated testing of all browsers they may have to change the graphical elements on the page so that Silk parses the tables dependably in VO mode. You can then use functions such as GetRowCount() or the like to access elements in the table.

4)Use the recorder only as a first go at declaring any elements in Silk. Recorder scripts are the most fragile, in general. You will need to go into the scripts once recorded and edit the tags so that the most relevant attributes of the UI are used to declare Silk's objects.

These are generalizations from my experience with the one web application that I've had to get Silk to parse. I hope it's useful to you.
    Michael

[This message has been edited by MichaelH (edited 01-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MichaelH (edited 01-12-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Michael and wambrose,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I tried those. My problem is Silktest recognizes some hidden columns in the web pagesand it gives me more number of columns than given in the webpage. So when i want to use getrowtext method, the method fails. Any suggestions. Michael I didnt try your other suggestion, ie talking to the development team. Would try that on Monday. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this well help or not. But when I had trouble clicking on a link in a table. I just told Silk to ignore the table and locate the link.
    This is the function that I wrote.
    -] RemTables()
    [ ] BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("TableRealRects", TRUE, USEROPT_DEFAULT)
    [ ] BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("TableLineRects", FALSE, USEROPT_DEFAULT)
    [ ] BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("RecognizeTextTables", FALSE, USEROPT_DEFAULT)
    [ ] BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("RecognizeCellTables", FALSE, USEROPT_DEFAULT)
    [ ] BrowserPage.SetUserOption ("GroupTables", FALSE, USEROPT_DEFAULT)

So now when I want to click on link in a table I just call this function first

RemTable()
    Then tell silk to click on the link
    HtmlLink("Your Link").Click()
    Let me know if this helps...