SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Error: Dr Watson for windowsNT ...very ***********

Hi

I hope someone will help me.

Iam using Silk 5.0.3.1 and Internet Explorer 5.5 for web testing on WindowsNT workstation.

My problem is:
    When I run or compile a .T or .inc file the error is as follows:
    "Dr Watson for windowsNT:
    The application error has occurred and an application error log is being generated, partner.exe.
    exception: access violation(0xc0000005), Address: 0x00550593"

I did also set IE DOM in Extenstion Enabler and tried but in result is vain...same error.

Does anyone come across this type of error...could you please share your ideas with me to comeout of this error.

Does Silk 5.0.3.1 support IE 5.5?

Many thanks in advance for your cooperation and support.

------------------
    Satya

[This message has been edited by victosatya (edited 12-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by victosatya (edited 12-29-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Error: Dr Watson for windowsNT ...very ***********

I don't have the answer to your problem, but i can tell you this much, unless you must test IE5.5 i woudn't use it, i have had many errors on an NT box with it and memory conflicts..... just my .02

-Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest 5.0.3.1 does not support IE5.5. It won't even recognize HtmlImages in a BrowserPage. Upgrade to SilkTest 5.0.3.2 for testing IE5.5.

Thanks Carlc for your advice...
    I updated with Silk 5.0.3.2 but error is same no changes, do you have anymore ideas to share with me.

------------------
    Satya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please check if you have included a file in runtime options AND in a use - clause? Or the same file name with a different path? Its sometimes possible if you have this combination to get the 'dr.watson' effect.
    Other idea: delete all .*o files (.to, .ino) - in silktest directory and in your scripts directory -, maybe you have corrupted object code. Restart silktest after deleting the files.
    Check if you have a write protection on one of your script directories?
    - Bjoern

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are hundreds of possible causes for this problem. Most of them point to an unstable OS. There are many things that can make Windows unstable. Common problems are viruses, anti-virus software and non-standard sreen savers. A lot of problems are actual bugs that should be fixed by Bill Gates -- but he has already built his dream home and he does not care.

I suggest that you completely wipe your computer. That means -- back up your work on the network. Then get the CDs to reinstall Windows. Write down all of your important network settings. Erase your hard drive by reformatting it. Then install Windows from scratch. Install IE from scratch. Download all of the latest IE updates from Microsoft. Install SilkTest from scratch. Use default settings wherever possible.

This might take you two or three days. But I cannot overemphasize the need for a solid OS when you are using SilkTest.

When you are done creating your "clean" OS, with SilkTest installed, consider making an "image" of your drive with a utility such as Norton Ghost. That way you can quickly restore your clean OS in 6 months when Windows start acting up again. I you make two partitions on your drive, and install all of your working software on C:, you can easily save your image on D:.
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same exact problem just yesterday. 2 days ago I set the machine up starting with a fresh load of NT4/SP6a and my AUT installs. All had been working fine. Then all of a sudden around 3pm Dr. Watson appeared. A reboot didn't fix the problem (warm, cold, I actually rebooted about 5 times). I ended up uninstalling SilkTest then re-installing it with all the interim reboots. Problem solved.

To follow-up on the rpevious reply, I never spend a lot of time trying to figure out why a Dr. Watson or system hang happened. Or any other OS-type problem. It's not a valuable use of my time. I work on machines that are intended to be reloaded regularly so if a quick uninstall/reinstall doesn't work then I just reload the machine - sometimes using a ghost image and sometimes starting with a full-blown OS install directly. You'll find yourself less frustrated and more productive with this kind of approach. Just remember that you're being paid to test your company's application, not Windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobKapteyn:
    [B]There are hundreds of possible causes for this problem. Most of them point to an unstable OS. There are many things that can make Windows unstable. Common problems are viruses, anti-virus software and non-standard sreen savers. A lot of problems are actual bugs that should be fixed by Bill Gates -- =======
    Just as an aside, it is a little unfair to point the finger specifically at anti-virus software as a major cause of GPF's, they are not by their nature especially prone to causing system failures, except for the fact that the some of the more popular versions of anti-virus software in the loast couple of years have been rather buggy. I actually work for an anti-virus company, although I am leaving them shortly, but not because of product quality.

Any third party software can have nasty bugs in it which can cause Dr.Watson type errors. My own recent personal experience is that the latest version of anti-virus software on my system is workign fine and has not caused any problems at all. But ever since I "upgraded" from AOL5.0 to AOL6.0 my system has been unstable, and I get a variety of diffeent error messages form time to time, which require me to reboot my system rather frequrntly. I have no hesitation to publically namer AOL6.0 as a source of major headaches for me. also, the ICQ product has recently been crashing my system, I am not sure whether or not it is related to the AOL6.0 problem.

There is an intractably high number of perm,utations of third party product versions and operating system versions. The vast majority of product and OS versions have never been tested together by anybody anywhere. I am 99% certain for example that nobodyi n the entire world has a PC configured the way mine is, which has a lot of third party software on it, and there are probably some inter-application conflicts and applications/OS conflicts which I am the first person i nthe world to encounter.

I do not see the situation getting any better any time soon. I forsee a general degradation of the quality of our software environment as more and more software is released, increasing even more the size of the set of untested product combinations.

We should get used to it.

On the other hand, I have a vague idea for a business plan to set up an independent company to do third party compatibility verification against an ever increasing set of applcations and versions, and issue quality certificates for a fee.

Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Thanks cradley for your information...

As you said, there are some third party tools in my application( Iam not sure who developed those), do you think this is the problem?

I do have onemore question:- My team has been working on three workstations but Dr Watson error in only 2 machines not other. what u think of this scenario, tried in many different ways on third machine it doesn't have any problem at all. Could you please suggest me how can I comeout of this error.

------------------
    Satya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by victosatya:
    [B]Thanks cradley for your information...
    I do have onemore question:- My team has been working on three workstations but Dr Watson error in only 2 machines not other. what u think of this scenario, tried in many different ways on third machine it doesn't have any problem at all. Could you please suggest me how can I comeout of this error.
    ==========================

Are the machines identical hardware and software ? If not, what is different ?

Like Polly Cotigan advised earlier:-

DO NOT WASTE ANY MORE TIME ON DIAGNOSING IT.

Re-image the bad machines and start over.

1) make an image of the disk of the good machine using a utility such as PowerQuest Drive Image-Pro or Symantec-Ghost or RapidDeploy (Altiris?)

2) Copy the good image on to a CD or a network server

3) If the machines have different hardware you will have to reinstall the device drivers, make sure you have the device drivers from the old machine before overwriting their disk images.

4) restore the good image on to the "bad" machines.

5) You will have to tweak the SID and network name of each NT machine after restoring the image, this is not necessary for Win-9X.

6) reinstall machine specific hardware drivers

That is basically what we do here.

If it still happens after the machine is reimaged, then you have to start looking closely at the differences between the machines, consider hardware AND software differences (e.g. different cards etc.).

If the problems persists after re-imaging then you might want scan the registry of each machine using a utility such as "Installwatcher", then take a look at the differences in the machine registries, that might give you some clues.

Good luck.

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast