SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Organizing multiple AUT frame files

I am testing 2 apps. "App1" is the biggy and has all the neat functionality. "App2" reports on data gathered through the use of App1. I already have App1's frame file all setup and we have lots of scripts for App1. Now I'm tackling the Silk infrastructure for App2 and am not sure how to organize the frame files. Advice, anyone?
    Here's a few things to consider.

-> The whole root of my problem here is that App2 really is a separate AUT and I really need to use the recovery system for App2. The usual config for App2 is that App1 doesn't exist on that machine (or MAYBE exists on a remote machine!) so base state can't include anything about App1.
    -> App2 scripts will occassionally have to interact with App1 for the purpose of generating data for the App2 tests so App2 needs access to App1's window decs, common functions, data types, etc.
    -> Users of the final scripts are currently manual testers and will NOT be fully trained on Silk coding but they do have technical skills regarding operating systems, our products, partner products, and the like.
    -> I really want to avoid duplication as much as possible. In App1's frame file there are some functions, data type definitions, and global variables that really should be shared between the 2 apps. Some of the functions are generic for Windows or Java; others are specific to App1.
    -> Some of the global variables in App1's frame file need to have different values for App2. Or I need to make a sortof-duplicate set of variables for the separate apps. Hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Organizing multiple AUT frame files

Organize your frame files into two sets. App1.inc includes the recovery system (wMainWin assignment, appstates) as well *** App1windows.inc (window declarations, common functions and datatypes.)
    App2.inc includes the recovery system for App2 as well as App1windows.inc, allowing those windows, functions and datatypes to be accessible.

You will have two frame files and your tests will have to specify which they need to use.
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com