sha
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest on IE 5 - ******

Hi,

We are absolutely new to SilkTest in our company. We badly need some help on running SilkTest on IE 5. It doesn't do the visual recording of the test. Ofcourse, the release notes says that SilkTest doesn't work well on IE 5. We'll be really grateful for any help.

Sha
    sha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silktest on IE 5 - ******

Sha

Can you go a bit more into your environment.
    Are you running against NT or Win 2k? I believe I read there is a support issue on Win 98 and it might be as simple as that.
    (I think it has something to do with Active Desktop on 98 not being an option .. but I could be wrong .. or Segue might have a fix)

As far as the latest Silk Test haveing problems with IE 5.0 I never experianced that myself.

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 12-20-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

sha
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick,

Thanks for the response. We are running SilkTest on Win98 and Win95. The exact prob is : We used the wizard for generating the test for a web app, but after it generates the .inc (window declarations) and asks us for the test name, it opens another browzer window where it displays the message 'Setting Default Base State'. After a while (or if we close this browzer window), a result page is generated with errors. Please help if you can.
    Sha

sha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Sha,

Nice to hear that you are also new to silk and working on IE, I have never faced any problems in IE exactly can you tell what type of pages your website has (eg, frames or some thing like that)I can assure you that I can help you to the exact extend. Because I am in the same field of doing automation in IE 5

I will be very happy if you send any of your doubt to me at baseer_siddiqui@yahoo.com. and further I am of Hyderabad

Thanks,
    Baseer

[This message has been edited by Baseer (edited 12-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure that you have the recovery system setup properly? I'm asking becasue the setting of the DefaultBaseState is involved.

Also, you might want to try getting your mgmt to provide training. SilkTest is not all that easy to learn on your own. The more programming background you have the easier it is to learn on your own but it's still not all that easy. I had 15+ years programming before I started learning Silk. I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to do anything more than ask my mgmt for training. I took Segue's first 2 classes (4 days total) then had a consultant come in for 2 days to help me get the frame file setup properly. After that I knew everything I needed to know, was comfortable with it, and was producing scripts in no time. Then took the remaining classes about 6 weeks later and my production increased even more. WELL worth the time and $$!!! So please consider Segue training or training by a consultant. Consultant training could be more cost and time effective and they might even be able to tailor the training to your app and/or needs.

sha
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we have no plans to go in for training programmes. We atleast would like to use the wizard for creating tests, but are not able to do even that.
    sha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will find that it is best with SilkTest in the NT enviroment. We were using 95/98 and had simular problems, we switched to NT and the problems were solved. But yes you need to make sure you have SilkTest setup properly. It will be best to run through the tutorial a couple of times and then write down the setup procedures to follow. Remember you have to change settings everytime you go from Web to Client/Server.

------------------
    Rowland
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sha,
    Do not follow the wizard. Best one is record a testcase and playback and once you are comfortable then customize the recorded code. Follow these steps.

Open your appliction, if its web app, then open your browser with starting url.
    Create a frame file
    start recording testcase on first page of yr app
    if you need to record testcases on subsequest pages of app then first capture the window declarations with record\window declarations and then record testcases.
    Make sure to pick appstate to none while recording testcases.
    Once u become familiar then u can play with appstatus
    Sree