User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Silktest and Automated Testing

Hello,

I'm having trouble trying to execute a testcase from a testplan. Actually, the testplan calls on a multitest case which in turn calls on a script file where individual testcases are located.

The problem I'm having is in getting the testplan to communicate with the target machines.The multitest case accepts 2 parameters. One is a text file where machine and URL information is located (sListFile), the other is the actual testcase to run (sTest2Run). There is a do...except statement in the multitestcase which looks like this:

[-] multitestcase s2kAllTestCases ( String sListFile, STRING sTest2Run )
    [ ]
    [ ] List of String lsMach = {}
    [ ] STRING sMach = ""
    [ ] STRING sURL2use = ""
    [ ]
    [ ] ListRead (lsMach, "{sListFile}")
    [ ]
    [-] for each sMach in lsMach
    [ ]
    [ ] //* This sMach contains something like "dragon-http://berlin/netora/livelink"
    [ ]
    [ ] sMach = GetField (sMach, '-', 1) //* Gives the Machine name to use
    [ ]
    [-] do
    [ ] SetUpMachine (sMach, Blank)
    [ ]
    [-] except
    [ ] Print ("****** Could not connect to {sMach} ******")
    [ ]

When trying to run the test case, I get the print statement "Could not connect to 'targetmachine'" which leads me to believe that the target machine was not set up in the SetUpMachine() function.

I need to get connected with the target machines and I don't have many resources.
    I'm in a new automation position at a company where the former employee, whose position I filled, left behind excellent well documented code. However, because I'm new to the whole testing process, the setup instructions that were left behind are a little vague. Again, I'm a Silktest "newbie" and I've been advised by my manager to run through all of the automated testcases that were left behind as sort of a "tutorial".

Does setting the classpath need to be done if testing in a Windows environment?

If so, how do I go about it.

Thank you very much.

George Eliopoulos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New to Silktest and Automated Testing

Hi George,

have you made sure that the Agent programs are running on the target machines before you run the script?

If they are then check the network settings. Your host machine and target machines should be set to the same e.g either netbios or TCP/IP. If they're set to Netbios check that the agent names are what you expect i.e. dragon. If they are TCP/IP then presuming that they ran okay before there shouldn't be a problem there.

The class path variable won't have anything to do with it.

hope that helps

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

Thank you so much for the response. It appears as though starting the agents was indeed the problem. I believe that I am connecting to the target machines because the browsers are being invoked when I start the testcase. The other problem is that the URL in the 'MachineList.txt' file is not being passed to the address bar of the target machine. I am only achieving an about:blank page.

In my results file I recieve 2 errors of "application not ready". It seems as though the testcase is hanging up on one statement in the explorer.inc file. That statement is:

if (! Explorer.View.Toolbars.AddressBar.IsChecked())
    Explorer.View.Toolbars.AddressBar.Pick()

Any more thoughts?

Thank you kindly,

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What version of IE and what version of SilkTest are you using?

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

I am using Silktest 5.0.3.
    I am testing on I.E. 4.0 and 5.0, as well as Navigator, each on different platforms(Unix, NT, 95/98, 2000), and each connected to various databases(SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase).

The testcases that I am trying to playback (simultaneuosly on 7 target machines), are previously automated testcases that have been run in the past. I am new at my job; automation and testing also. In trying to understand the testing process (Silktest), my manager has suggested that I run the automated testcases that were left behind by a former employee who introduced Silktest to our company.

The code he left behind is perfectly documented. I've learned so much about Silktest just by reading his code for the past week.

By the way, he also left some documentation he had gathered over the course of 3 years on Silktest and automation. Most of the articles, along with a couple of printed powerpoint presentations, were by you!

Anyway, I appreciate your response. I hope there is information I can provide in order for me to get past this roadblock and proceed and excel in my new career as an automation engineer using Silktest.

George Eliopoulos
    geliopou@opentext.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George,

go to your Agent Options and find out what your 'App ready timeout' is set to. Try increasing this.

If that doesn't work try unchecking the option that says 'Verify that an application is ready' (though if this works you don't want to leave it like that).

Also does this occur on netscape as well?

Does this problem occur on all platforms - and if it's just NT has a service pack just been installed?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

It seems as though my problem was in my ".txt" file. I altered it so that the testcase would only target 1 machine.
    The file looked like this:

berlin-http://berlin/netora/livelink.exe

I use the GetField() function to tell the script which machine to setup, in this case the machine named "berlin". The problem was that my script was reading "invisible characters" after the last letter on line 1. So I positioned the cursor behind the e in .exe and held down delete for a few seconds and then resaved the file. Believe it or not, that did it.

Also, one of my agents was not configured properly. I am now able to see the target machines step through the testcases(not without errors however!).

I appreciate your help and any help in the future.

Thank you,

George
    geliopou@opentext.com