SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Writing a Silk example text book/Users guide

I know I could use as much help as possible. I would like to help, but I would not have much to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writing a Silk example text book/Users guide

All

I have seen this topic come up in one form or another quite often. There is a preety big need out there in the user community that Segue is not currently supporting.

I continously read posts from people that are begging for material that they could purchase from a book store, amazon.com .. that could cover some basics here (in the topic).

Occasionally I read posts from Super Users wondering about this. One thing I sort of Glommed is if Segue does not authorize the material (like the Supreme Court) you cannot legally publish anything.

Is there any truth to that assertion? Because I believe that there are a number of users who contribute to this Forum who could easily write selected chapters of this book and betasoft would essentially be the
    framework. I would esp like to see Segue actually sponsor the effort since they would be the main benefactors .. and really some of the stuff they write is very tired!

I realize that there would be almost no monetary gain here and yet I would really like to be part of the effort. So what are the issues that would have to be addressed here?
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Writing a Silk example text book/Users guide

Hi Rick,
    I am quite prepared to be called wrong on this but I'll have a go anyway.
    As I see it the big issue (Part I) is International Intellectual Property law. If the book is published as a hard-copy volume, then this can be addressed during distribution in various nations. However, if the book is to remain as a "soft" online entity (which I think is actually a better idea as it allows continual moderated updating and expansion), the issue will need to be addressed prior to commencement.
    Part II of all this is the question of profit. If there is no intent to make a profit from this, as in a web based resource could be, then surely Segue would be a lot less likely to litigate and in fact probably quite happy to see it develope.

Hope I haven't muddied the wateres too much.

Cheers,
    Martin
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)