SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ToolTips and GetHelpText() on systray icons

I've seen a couple posts about tooltips, but there seems to be an unresolved issue. Like other people, I'm getting
    [ ] 0x0 0x0
    for a result whe I call GetHelpText(). What am I doing wrong?
    I'm trying to find a way to interact with the Systray icons and I want to use the tooltip text to indicate I'm in the right position. I will increment my xpos across the systray until the tooltip for my app appears, then I'll rightclick and pick from the menu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ToolTips and GetHelpText() on systray icons

Hi Brian,

I had same problem. So I asked technical support of Segue. They replied that this is a bug in the current version. But this will be resolved in Version 5.5 which is not released yet. It will release towards end of this year.

yamini

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrianCarroll:
    I've seen a couple posts about tooltips, but there seems to be an unresolved issue. Like other people, I'm getting
    [ ] 0x0 0x0
    for a result whe I call GetHelpText(). What am I doing wrong?
    I'm trying to find a way to interact with the Systray icons and I want to use the tooltip text to indicate I'm in the right position. I will increment my xpos across the systray until the tooltip for my app appears, then I'll rightclick and pick from the menu
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Even without this bug the tooltip text will not help you. The problem with this approach is that SilkTest does not use the text that is being displayed, it accessed the text through the windows API. In doing this SilkTest is only able to get one piece of text per control. The problem arrises in that the system tray is one control and the icons are simply painted. This means that SilkTest cannot actually read the tooltips attached to the icons.

There are a couple approaches that I have used in the past which have given some success. The first is to declare the System Tray and then override the PopupSelect and MenuSelect methods so that they move the mouse to the left hand edge of the System Tray and then "walk" across it using the movemouse method, and after each move bring up the menu and see if the menu item you are looking for exists. This approach has worked in the past depending on how the popupmenu has been implemented. The next approach I have used depends on the application being tested being started up when windows starts but not being displayed. If this is the case then you can override the system tray popupselect and menuselect methods to do a PostMessage to your application with the message that the system tray menus send. This approach is more complex to set up but is far more robust if it can be used.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions on how you do this, please feel free to email me at ptucker@automationexpertise.com.

Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe http://www.automationexpertise.com
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried the method you suggest, where you "walk" across the systray, but I was unable to dismiss popup menus and this killed me.

Could you provide an example of using PostMessage() on an app without a window? It seems that PostMessage and SendMessage require a handle to a window.

Robust is a good thing