SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lotus Notes controls.

I might be getting involved in an in-house project testing some functionality a developer is adding to Lotus Notes. I used the Window Declaration Recorder to see which controls Silktest would recognize. As expected there are a lot of Custom Windows. One main Custom window is a Custom Class called OLEScriptlet and the Standard Class is NOTES_MDICLIENT.
    I was wondering if there is a way to add an extension that would allow silktest to expose these controls. Similar to Java and ActiveX controls.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lotus Notes controls.

I recall seeing a post that someone had added the Lotus Notes application (.exe) in Extension Enabler/Extensions and using the IE4/OCX Extension. This made some of the objects more recognizaable. I've never tried this myself.

You can use the Extension Kit to "see" custom objects, but a developer has to build you methods inside the application that you can call from SilkTest and compile these with the application.

In some rare cases, you can call a DLL which contains functions which provide information about the application.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I have seen some SilkTest scripts used by Lotus to test Lotus Notes. The extension kit was used to test the custom controls.

John.
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John,

You are right about Lotus using SilkTest to test Notes (it certainly used to be the case). They have made extensive use of the extension kit for thier in house testing. Unfortunately though, it is my understanding that they remove all EK code from Notes before shipping it.

Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe http://www.automationexpertise.com
    Paul Tucker
    Automation Expertise Europe
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the comments on testing Lotus Notes using EK from Silk Test, How can one ensure that the final build of the AUT can be tested.
    Do the EK code go along with the final release of application or is it removed.

Has anybody had an experience on the same.

Appreciate your comments.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About testing Lotus Notes, see this thread:
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/002693.html

In the case of Notes/Domino, we do not yank any code out of the final build. We don't like the idea of testing a different version of the product than the one we actually ship. Nevertheless, automation of Notes custom controls is not enabled outside of our own Notes development environment.

If you're trying to test Lotus Notes the Extension Kit will not help you much.

As for making sure your own AUT is testable through the final release, it all depends on how you code it. See the EK documentation about "internal" and "external" extensions. You need to make sure you code your AUT so automation will not be switched off for the final build, and make sure your build procedure doesn't switch it off either. One option is to have your automators set an undocumented .ini variable for your AUT -- if your AUT reads in a certain value in the .ini file, it can load up the automation extension hooks; if not, it can just do nothing. Or, when you AUT boots up, it could conceivably check for the presence of one or more test dlls in your program directory to determine whether or not to enable the automation code. There are probably all kinds of conditions like that that your AUT could check for. If you're not one of the developers of your AUT, ask a developer -- they'll be able to set something up for you.

AG

------------------