SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SetActive() fails sporadically in SilkTest 5.0.3

We have been using QAP 4.6.1 successfully for a while. I installed SilkTest 5.0.3 on a clean W2K system and it worked fine with our testware. This machine had not previously had QAP installed.

Now, I am upgrading my W95 machine from QAP 4.6.1 to SilkTest 5.0.3. I followed the directions, including uninstalling the previous version.

It mostly worked, but when I run my tests I get a strange phenomenon. I have some code which checks if an OutsideView [terminal emulator] window exists and if so, tries to set it active before entering some text. This is done in ScriptExit() as part of our test cleanup procedure.

The problem is, the Exists() call correctly returns TRUE, but the SetActive() call fails, saying "Window cannot be set active". I have stepped through the code and manually set the window active before that call, and it works. But this sequence is done for the 3 OV windows we use and if I manually intercede in the 1st failing case, the subsequent one fails the same way. Sometimes it fails with the 1st window, sometimes the 2nd.

I can find no documentation that suggests any changes to Exists() or SetActive(). I can find no explanation of what circumstances would cause the error "window cannot be set active". I can't figure out why it would not be able to set a window active that it knows exists. I'm stumped.

Anybody have any ideas on what's going on, how to fix it, or even how to debug it further?

Thanks!
    glen michtom

ps: I saw an earlier msg about SetActive() failing, but that one appeared to be resolved by decreasing system load. I don't think that's the problem here, however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SetActive() fails sporadically in SilkTest 5.0.3

Here are a few idea.s

Make sure you are using the 5.03.1 patch. The 5.03.2 patch will be available next week.

Try the settings in Agent Options/Verification until you figure out which one fixes the problem. Then you can use Agent.SetOption (OPT_VERIFY_ENABLED, FALSE), for example, just before the problematic call in the ScriptEnter () function.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SetActive() fails sporadically in SilkTest 5.0.3

I have found SetActive() can fail when the CPU load is high.
    Try these things:
    1) monitor your CPU load
    2) use a more powerful processor
    3) kill all unecessary applications and processes which might be running on the box.

I found that "Remote Desktop" consumed a lot of CPU cycles and SetActive was failing. Ever since I killed the RD, SetActive has been working just fine.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.