Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WPF support for .net 4.0...

I am wondering if there is ANYONE out there who is trying to automate a WPF application that is using .net 4.0? Currently SilkTest does not support 4.0, and will not release an ETA as to when they will have support for it. This has forced out automation team to looks at other means of GUI automation, Microsoft UI automation is what we are looking at now, and I am wondering if anyone has any luck with 4.0 in SilkTest, of if you have been forced to look at other tools also, and if so, what tools are you looking at...

Cheers!

Thanks in advance...
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: WPF support for .net 4.0...

Hey,

Currently a lot of automation testing tools have supported WPF controls except SilkTest. No doubt, UI Automation is the best choice to automate WPF application, because if you choose UI Automation, that means you also chose a best IDE 'Visual Studio', moreover, you have a lot of choices on programing languages, such as c#.NET, VB.NET and so on. But if you already have a lot of test scripts developed base on SilkTest, when you want to change a new automation tool, you must port all these old 4Test scripts to the new platform, that should be a large waste of time. At such case, you can extend SilkTest functionality to let it support WPF, such as writting SilkTest extension. We had successfully automated a WPF application via SilkTest 2006 using this method.

Ps, As I know, WPF comes with .NET 3.0, and .NET 4.0 will release with VS2010. So I am not sure how does your company develop an application based on .NET 4.0, so I don't know whether my suggestion developing extension for SilkTest will work for you.

Thanks,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

RCyr,

SilkTest currently supports WPF with .NET 3.x, I doubt that there will be support for .NET 4.0 _before_ it is released... but given the past experience with other technologies I assume that there will be support shortly afterwards...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In which release SilkTest supports WPF? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

timshen,

[ QUOTE ]
    We had successfully automated a WPF application via SilkTest 2006 using this method.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please can you post more details on how you did this?

Thanks
    peat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What do you mean by develop an extension kit for SilkTest for WPF? It is to my understanding the Extention kit that comes with SilkTest is only for C applications? Are you saying that we can develop .net extension for WPF in Silktest?

Is so can you please point me in the right direction to some useful documentation or demo's on this?

thanks in advance!
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, the extenion is for C application, for automating WPF applications, we firstly should develop a .NET library to wrap all operation we need, then we can use c application as an adapter between SilkTest and the .NET library.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    In which release SilkTest supports WPF? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

since SilkTest 2008 R2 as far as I know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok, do you have any step by step simple demonstrations on this? I am VERY interested in researching this type of extension kit for WPF.

Thanks in advance!
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WPF is supported by the OpenAgent, using MSUIA. To use it, create an OpenAgent project and enable the extension for your WPF application.

Unfortunatly, there is no action recording available for WPF, but you can record the window identifiers or the xpath locators for dynamic object recognition. after that it should be pretty straight forward to write tests :-)

for documentation on the available window classes check the help for the Msuia* classes.

hth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast