SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest & PowerBuilder objects

Is anyone out there using SilkTest on PowerBuilder application?
    If so, have you experienced problems using SilkTest methods to set data for an object(eg. DWEditField.SetText ("text")?
    Are there any workarounds you can suggest?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest & PowerBuilder objects

Hi,

First of all I have not tested a PowerBuilder application in a long time, but I have seen a similiar problem.

How far have you got with work arounds? Have you tried using the SetFocus method in conjunction with the TypeKeys method? If you can use both of these methods, rewrite the existing SetText method for the PowerBuilder edit field class.

Regards John.
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this problem a lot when working with a PB app and the solution varied. The root of the problem was always in the way the programmer defined the control. Our final solution was more stringent standards for programmers, but it took us quite awhile to get to that point. I still encounter similar problems in the Java client that I'm working on now and again the root is in how the programmer defined the cotnrols.

So if you can't get your programmers to standardize on how they define the controls but instead just have to figure out how to deal with it yourself in Silk, the easiest approach I found was to use TypeKeys to get around it. The SetFocus approach mentioned in the previous reply is helpful too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another work-around is to find/experiment ways to navigate or to get to the textfield or control you are working with via keyboard interface (using the Tab key, Arrow keys, etc.). If you can Tab to a textfield, most likely, you should be able to SetFocus () to it. Sometimes, you'll have to TypeKeys ("<Delete>") if a default value exists or is already displayed on the field. Doing a SetText ("sometext") usually will append "sometext" to the current value. In some very rare cases, you'll end up issuing a Right Click first on the field followed by the Left Click before focus can be set.
    In short, try out every possible keystroke that you can think of that will allow you to be able to get to or set focus to your textfield then choose the one that works best for you!