SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recognizing differnt windows with the same tags.

Hi, I am testing a web app, that uses the same caption on every page. How can I get Silk to distinguish those pages?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Recognizing differnt windows with the same tags.

hi gdlugy,

I had this problem too, my trick was to dynamically generate the tag at runtime by checking the url or checking for presence of unique objects on the page. Only downside of this method is that using "Record Identifier" will not identify objects or pages as you've defined, it will just use generic naming, i.e. BrowserPage.HtmlText("some tags here")

just goto your window declaration for each page which has the same caption and change the tag statment from

tag "caption text"

to this:
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to mention...the other alternative which I recommend and will probably make life much easier for you, is simply ask the developers to give each page a unique well named caption.

Dave
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean, "you're not restricted to doing it dynamically"? I did have a discussion with a segue rep once and he was telling me I can define unique tags for multiple pages in a "non-dynamic" way but I could not get his suggestions to work and that technique is no where in the docs.

Here's what he shared:

[code]

Regarding your query on tagging pages with the same Caption and URL, you can manually change a tag
    after you have recorded it, I mentioned this in my first e-mail to you. Basically, you find a
    unique characteristic about each page and try to tag the page from there. EG:

Two dialogs called "Open" have the same label or caption, but do not have identical contents. For
    example, one "Open" dialog has a "Name" text field and the other "Open" dialog has a "Search"
    pushbutton. Specify a unique child for each tag, for example:

"[DialogBox]Open/[TextField]Name/.."
    "[DialogBox]Open/[PushButton]Search/.."

This is the correct syntax when attempting this procedure, class of the window or object in square
    brackets and the forward slash separator, you also need to include the two periods (..) at the end.

Hope this helps,

-Gary

[\code]
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with finding a unique object however you are not restricted to doing this dynamically. You can define these windows using these unique tags. Note however though that after defining these, they won't be recognized as unique using the "record window...declarations, tags, identifier" tools etc. They will be recognized at runtime though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the Segue rep's suggestion should be the first thing you try and is probably what 'non dynamically' was referring to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the above tagging language frequently with success when I was testing Win32 applications. I am currently using Silktest to test web content. I haven't found Web content to work with the above tagging language in any cases, however, and suspect that it won't work in any cases with browser content. I wouldn't waste your time trying the "unique child" approach for browsers.
    Craig Koozer
    Lead Test Automation Engineer
    www.oraclesmallbusiness.com