SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image Map Problems

Hi there. I am using Silk 5.0 to test a browser-based information management tool. I am testing with Netscape 4.5 on a Win/NT platform.

I recently started having problems with my testing scripts once a new image map was added to the application I'm testing. This image map has an index #9 and a window id of 6 when I record the window declarations. Whenever I run the test scripts, it appears that from this image map and on, all of the subsequent images (maps or not) are not being recognized, thus, the tests always fail, because the correct images are never clicked on. It's almost as if Silk is choking on this particular image. If I record the window identifiers immediately after the tests fail, I see that all the images from the image map and on are completely out of whack. During the tests I do not actually need to click on this image map, so that is not the problem. However, I need to click on the images that load in after this image map, and they are not being recognized.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Also,is there a particular way I should be declaring this image map?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
    -Kathryn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Image Map Problems

Unfortunately (since version 2.x arrived) Silk is easily confused when index numbers are used in JAVA or HTML based applications. (Just wait until you see that they are occasionally dynamically incremented by a hundred count or more for no reason at all!) Index numbers cannot be trusted for use as the only tag for two reasons. First, an object's placement in the window or dialog is critical to their assigned numeric ordering when Silk creates it's declarations either statically (using Record Declarations) or dynamically during run time. If a new object appears (or disappears) the numbering of all subsequent objects is changed. Take a look at this with Record/Window tag and you'll see it. Named tags (utilizing adjacent static text) or using an object's graphic name are much more trustworthy.

The second issue relates to the bug mentioned above. If only one object has been added, you can correct the numbering for all subsequent objects manually. However if the numbering is off radically, the only cure I found was to terminate the application under test, kill Silk's Agent task, and start over. Hopefully you're experiencing the first instance.