User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting info from Agent

Hi all,

I want to be able to send testing commands to the Agent (such as "copy this string") and have the Agent return the information to the Host to be used in a comparison with another value.

Anyone know if this is possible? Can the Agent capture and return info to the host or is it only a one way conversation?

If this task is possible, I'd appreciate some quick sample code to illustrate how it could be done.
    Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting info from Agent

I don't think that you completely understand what the Agent is.
    The Agent is the one-and-only connection between your SilkTest code and your Application under test.

The Agent does ALL of the same things on a remote computer as it does when it is run locally. When GetText() and GetContents() are executed on a remote agent, the results are returned to the local machine which is running SilkTest.

Only the "SYS_" functions bypass the agent, but all of these deal with files on your local machine and not your Apllication.

So, if you want to retrieve text from a remote machine, go to the "Runtime Options"
    dialog, set "Agent Name" and "Network" to match you remote Agent then execute something like this:

STRING RemoteText = MyRemoteApp.MyTextField.GetText()

print( "The remote text is: {RemoteText}" )

[This message has been edited by RobKapteyn (edited 11-16-2000).]
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting info from Agent

Oh I understand what the Agent is... it's just that the documentation provided by Segue tends to gloss over it's functions and abilities.

We use a second agent on a seperate machine to perform some tests, and because of how our network/server is set up there are some things that I can/cannot do in terms of communicating with the Agent and passing information.

I just needed to confirm that the Agent is actually acting as an interface with a remote machine and that the information produced from a test is being retained on the host machine. Thanks for the help.