SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I create SilkTest custom functions?

I am fairly new to the 4Test language, but I understand programming concepts. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was a way to create custom functions so that i can reuse code instead of rewriting it.

Also, is there any way that I could create a global variable? Someone mentioned that I should write the contents of the variable to a file and then read it out each time... This doesn't seem right...
    The reasoning behind it was that each test case run re-initializes the environment.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How can I create SilkTest custom functions?

How much programming have you done in the past? I find 4Test to be very similar to C++ (which I used throughout university).

How are you looking to implement your tests? Are they all in a single test file?

If that's the case you can use the same method that I've been using... declare seperate functions for pieces of the code that you want to use over and over again.

For example.. I have a single test file called ABC.t. Inside this file are all the test cases that I want to use along with a few generic functions that can be called.

ABC.t

//function to clear the screen
    clear_screen ()
    //funtion to log in
    login ()

//testcases
    testcase Check_date ()

*declare variables and stuff here*
    *begin scripting here*
    clear_screen ()
    login ()
    *continue script*

testcase Check_time ()
    *declare variables and stuff here*
    *begin scripting here*
    clear_screen ()
    login ()
    *continue script*

The same 2 functions are used several times...

the same is true for global variables If they're being used by all testcases in the same file.

at the top of your test file declare your varibles:

const STRING date1 = 00/11/15
    const INTEGER cost = 2500

and they can be referenced later on by any script as normal.. if you need each script to be able to modify these values you'll need to find another way to use global variables (cant remember how at the moment)

If you're using several different files to hold your test cases you could always create a seperate file to hold all the variables and functions that you need and then "include" it in whatever testcase file needs to reference them.

I've only been using SilkTest for a few weeks so there are probably more sophisticated ways to implement these ideas, but at least this should get you started.

Hope this helps.
    Martin H

[This message has been edited by mhemmings (edited 11-15-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that the easiest way is to collect my custom functions in my .inc file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the thread "Global variables and the Invoke method"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have common functions that I need acros multiple .t files so I made them part of my frame file. In my master frame file I just "use" the files that contain these common functions. Having them be part of the frame file makes them automatically available anywhere at all times so you don't have to remember to "use" them in your .t files.