SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can command line be sent from Linux to Windows?

Does anyone know if it is possible to type in the command line syntax on a Linux machine and telnet it to a windows machine (98, NT) in order to start a Silk test case on the windows machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can command line be sent from Linux to Windows?

I don't know the answer to that, however i do know of some software that may allow you to do some testing and talking between NT and Linux, go to vmware.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can command line be sent from Linux to Windows?

To answer your first question I don't know but I can give you some alternatives (since I do this type of testing myself).

I could tell you that there are some winsock/bsd solutions out there (which I do use) .. but that may be a tad more complex then you want. A potentially simpler solution
    involves a file system that would be open to linux and Windows even Solaris (via samba).

Why not have a subfolder on a shared drive for every windows machine you want to start this way. Then have a simple utilty create a
    command file to start a test on the linux side.

The name of the test could be part of that test name created in linux or be part of the file content. Either way to prevent collisions you could create a file name (from linux) with a unique time stamp and host name like so:
    TestNameToRun_TimeStamp_hostName.cmd

where TimeStamp = 20001114103454
    hostName = name of linux machine

The windows machines could have a process running to look for these files every five minutes or so. A bit primitive but it could span input from every os under your companies roof.

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 11-14-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer