SPONSORS:

User Tag List

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extracting mouse-over help text--how to?

I am working with a VB 6 application and SilkTest 5.0.3.1.

I have a graphic toolbar with image icons that Silk can not see. As I mouse-over the icons they present a small popup HELP text string.

A careful reading of the language reference manual, as well as perusing online SilkTest help, does not reveal any functions for grabbing this text. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

-Thanks, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Extracting mouse-over help text--how to?

I've been out of the test automation scene for a few months and I definitely don't have the answer for you. But... I recall that the automation I used to run would occassionally fail in some MS-Office apps (Projet if I reall) if the mouse was left over a GUI object with bubble help available.

What would happen is the mouse would move, click the button, the mouse would remain over the button, the bubble help would appear, and then QAP/Silk would fail to locate the MS-Office app due to the bubble help being in focus.

QAP/Silk had difficulties recovering from this as it was impossible for QAP/Silk to systematically close the bubble help as it isn't a standard object/window. I believe the workaround was to force the mouse to move to a location known to have no bubble help, like the title bar.

My guess it is appears to QAP/Silk as a new custom dialogbox with no parent.

Unsure if this information help, but hopefully it provides a clue or some sort of inspiration for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Extracting mouse-over help text--how to?

GetHelpText () is the function you are looking for. You can also search for the word "tooltip".