Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Silk having issues setting window to Active on XP

Hello,
    I have been running a test suite successfully against our in house software (which currently runs on NT) for a few years with no issues. Now we are upgrading to XP, and the hope was that we could use our SILKTest suite as a good starting point for testing.

The problem I am having is when SILK has to set a window to Active. Under NT, it never had a problem, but under XP it seems to find the required window, but not be able to set it to active.

The window(s) in question appear to just flash in and out of activity, and causes SILK to hang mid test, as it can't find the required window to enter the next set of input.
    Manual intervention (clicking the window to active) is the only way to get the test to continue.

Has anyone had an issues with this sort of thing? Or have any tips on what I might be missing?

Thanks in advance

NB: Running SilkTest version 7.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Silk having issues setting window to Active on XP

Hi,

We are facing the same problem in our XP machine. We are using SilkTest 2006 R2.

regards,

Amit Arora

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I had this problem as well, but my situation was different - I was running under XP, did nothing else but patch our software, and on SOME of our test machines, set active no longer worked. After months of attempts of support from Borland we finally resolved it by writing a routine that alt tabs through windows until the right one appears. Also, we seemed to resolve the issue on some machines by giving our domain user administrative privs on the local machine. Totally baffling.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the reply. Sadly in this case, one of the windows I'm having the main problem with does not appear in the list when you ALT-Tab!
    And I already have full admin rights on the PC in question. I'm starting to think this might be an XP problem rather than SILK itself...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes. I have this problem when I run my scripts on web application. We have a problem in SetActive Method.

The fact is , the Same DLL is responsible for setting the AUT active by ST and also setting active the mail agent ( In my case, I use Microsoft Outlook). If we make our mail agent active , OS will give its next priority to ST thread and activates our AUT. If not it waits for Mail agent (OS Thread which has the high priority) and thats the reason for blinking.

Leave the facts.

Solution:
    I solved it by
    1. Start the script
    2. Make the mail agent active immediately after the script execution starts.

We don't get the SetActive and Flashing in task bar problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First of all, I was seeing the exact same problem you are with the flashing window.

I should clarify, and I should also state that I have no idea why this would make the slightest difference, but it definitely seemed to have an effect.

We sign onto our machines that we run the tests on as a domain user with admin privs on that machine. What seemed to help was creating a user on the local system with the same name as the domain user and giving that user admin privs as well. It's ridiculous, I know, but that seemed to (eventually) correct most of our systems with this problem.

It's really unfortunate that alt-tab won't work for you. If you do resolve this, please please post here to say how you did it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I managed to fix the problem using the TweakUI powertool which you can download from the microsoft website.
    Once installed, open the application, go to General -> Focus and uncheck the "Prevent applications from stealing focus" box.
    Just that was enough to stop the SetActive conflicts we were getting.

Hope it helps anyone else who has the same issue.

Thanks and good luck

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ahh, interesting! I will certainly try this if the problem pops up again - thanks very much for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The odd thing I've noticed - some XP boxes need this edit done, and others do not. The Dell boxes supplied by our IT department did not need the tweak to work with XP, and the VMs I occasionally run in haven't needed it.
    Dana Cline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello all. This is the exact error I'm having but it's on Vista, not XP... From what I can tell TweakUI doesn't officially exist for Vista but I did download Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Vista only to find that it did not have a "Prevent applications from stealing focus" checkbox.

Does anyone have a Vista solution for this? I've tried the TypeKeys("<Alt-Tab>") method and it doesn't seem to work either... Thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast