User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Java Testing Checklist!

Hello all i was wondering if maybe we can create a checklist thread here, for people testing java for things to setup for environment, what works what doesn't etc.... Especially you folk who are experienced. I've gone through all the steps that Help provided still cannot see any controls. I am using an NT machine. This is assuming you are using the jdk1.2.2 which i believe is the majority.

-Brendan

[This message has been edited by matrixed (edited 11-07-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Java Testing Checklist!

I think that is a great idea

Let me start a thread by telling you to check your classpath. NOT the classpath that you set .. I am sure you updated that. But the classpath that your java application uses.

Frequently clever developers will override this path! Thats right they up and create their very own standards ignoring your machine settings. Usually this is done via the java -cp .. option.

Check for it's existance in your batch file. Or if there is a wrapped exe check with the developer to make sure what they are useing. Because if the app you are testing overrides your actuator jar file you are dead in the water. Also I think it is high time developers added the user machines classpath at the end of whatever they derive.

Fortunately this does not happen with applets (at least not that I know of) because the JVM is preety rigid about that standard.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok i will add something here. If you go to your Silktest installation path, and under that you see a javaex directory. Inside that there is a status directory. In there if you run the Status.class file it will help you determine whether or not it recognizes the jdk, the correct Jar file, and some other things you may need to know.

-Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running "java Status" is an important first test of your setup, it but it does not tell you everything.

Just like rick_weth wrote, the developers where I work also overwrite the environment's CLASSPATH.
    I think that this is probably VERY common and it is not discussed in any of the Segue documentation.

In some places, my developers overwrite the CLASSPATH in DOS batch files, in other places they use
    the "java -cp" option that rick described.

If you are not seeing objects, and "java Status" says everything is OK, this is probably what is happening.

You must edit your developer's batch files and insert ";c:\Program Files\Segue\SilkTest\JavaEx\SilkTest_Java2.jar;"
    into the path somewhere.
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The addition of the silktest_java2.jar file usually goes in the java command line after the java command options and immediately before the path to your AUT's .jar file, followed by a semicolon then NO space before your AUT's .jar file. My experience (with JDK and Visual Cafe both) is that the .bat file is extremely picky about spaces in the command line, so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, when i first started to set this up, i accidentally put the silktest_java1.jar in my path and forgot to take it out after i read the 1.2 uses the silktest_java2.jar so when a ran the Status utility class, it told me i had both in there.

-Brendan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys,
    I just want to say a BIG thank-you to you for
    a) bringing up this topic, and
    b) pointing out this issue with the CLASSPATH.

I have been struggling (read going insane) trying to find the problem in our set-up. I had been happily automating versions of our product for several months prior to a recent major evolution. Suddenly, I couldn't even see the window no matter what I did.

I tried everthing I could think of and followed the Silk Help text to the absolute letter for 3 months of stress. After reading the above 20 mins ago, I went straight to the batch files and BINGO!!

I now am able to see and perform operations on everything in the window. Now I just have to catch up to the schedule which started again (after a pause of 2 months in devel) 2 weeks ago. Guess I'll be working late tonight, but I'll be bloody happy.

Regards from OZ,
    Martin
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly written manuals are extremely critical to technical products.

I have had to jump all around the manual in order to understand how particular features
    worked.

There is much room for improvment in this area.

DR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this thread is still alive and kicking. I have found the info here to be very useful.

Don

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with SilkTest and Java testing are almost ALWAYS related to getting the SilkTest_Java#.jar file in the classpath. Anything Java 1.2 or above can be resolved by placing this jar file in the [drive]:\JDK1.#\jre\lib\ext folder and/or the [drive]:\Progra~1\JavaSoft\JRE\1.#\lib\ext folder. No matter what the crafty developer does to override the classpath, Java will look here for anything to add to it.

Ninety nine times out of a hundred, fixing the classpath in this way will resolve the Java testing issue.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 05-31-2001).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast