SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generating Window Declarations from a Resource File

We have an application that has lots of windows and manually generating the window declarations can be tedious. I have heard that there is a way that you can capture the window declarations information from a resource file. Also, from what I learned, this makes updates to the test frame easier especially when the application has changes or added windows.
    I don't exactly know the process and steps that's why I am hoping if anyone has any experience doing it, it will be much appreciated if you can share those ideas with us. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Generating Window Declarations from a Resource File

Hi,

I have seen include files generated automatically from resource files. In my case the AUT was running on a HPUX and tested using QA Partner.

The process is straight forward. Extract the resource level information from the resource files and as SilkTest's include files are basically ASCII files just a write a macro which takes each piece of resource level information and adds this to the include file, paying attention to object class, object hierarchy and 4Test formatting.

If you open any test frame in a text editor, you will see exactly what I mean about 4Test formatting.

Regards,

John.
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me start by saying this is an interesting topic, and I enjoyed reading the info John added .. very thought provoking.

However even if there was a real simple utility out there to dynamically snag the test frames for windows I doubt I would use it, for existing windows.

That doesn't mean I wouldnt try it but there is a good deal more to a test case than creating a frame file. I think a utility like that would be great for snagging windows for BRAND NEW projects.

I would worry about changes to my existing frame files .. something that seems to magically happen in this process in non destructive ways. I doubt that your older test casses would appreciate this utility at all!

My point it is that frame file generation is THE basis for any test infrastructure in Silk. The relationship is very tightly interwoven here (complex)

If you have changed controls you as a human would tend to change the tags to continue to map the older identifier to the updated control (and that is teh simple case). I suspect this utility would change the identifier with the proper tag (and rightly so).. [unless you had a utility that would look at the older and newer resource files and do the right thing].

Also developers love to split or join windows, esp after talking with marketing, or an architect. There really isn't a simple way to handle that (preety much why we are employed in the first place).

So what I am saying is I am interested but very skeptical, about this utility that for all we know you may have to write yourself.

I think that you would need to take what you have into account, before you can move on and "get more". Keep in mind that even after you get those frame files (right or otherwise) you still gotta do your job with them! If there is ever a program or product that handles that I guess were all out of a job (I aint worried)

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 11-04-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replies. It looks like doing it this way got its pros and cons. I wonder, if the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Actually, when I first heard about this method, it really sounded too good to be true. Since, from what I was told you can just run a utility and it will produce a text file that will have the windows declarations that I can just port it over to SilkTest. I guess it's just not simple as that. I thought this will be time-saving but apparently not.

[This message has been edited by newbie27 (edited 11-09-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Rick on this one. Great question, great idea but not gonna happen. I just wouldn't trust that all tag reassignments were completed correctly.

Recently we had a developer insert a couple classes into our heirarchical structure.
    It was quite a pain dealing with this for the first time and making sure Silk would still look for our windows in the right places.

This made us stop and think about how we could better absorb these types of changes in the future. Automation crossed my mind but there are just too many possibilities to consider. I see it being way too time consuming to build and maintain a utility that would automate these changes for me.

Besides, "frame file generation is THE basis for any test infrastructure in Silk", I feel much more comfortable making the changes myself. I also gain understanding of the relationship between my silk code and my aut.