SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Pausing a running script

I am looking to use Silktest to give a client a demo of some new software we have. What I am looking for is a command whereby I can pause the running script for a certain length of time before carrying on with the demo. I don't want to use a sleep, and I don't want to popup a message box as this may look untidy.
    Ideally I am looking to use a key combination to pause the script, and again to restart the script.
    I am unable to find a command to do this, can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Pausing a running script

There is nothing...without calling another program which will pause for you...just the trap message thing

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I have a solution for you. Write the entire stuff to be executed in a single testcase in a separate .t file. Change into debug mode and place a break point where you would like to stop while demo is going on and select run arrow again when you would like to continue with execution. I just tried it with me and it works. Looks like this may be the only solution for your issue. Let me your know feedback.

[This message has been edited by sree (edited 11-02-2000).]
    Sree

The problem with using the debug method is that I don't necessarily know when I am going to be asked questions relating to the software, which will necessitate me stopping the script.
    I had thought of this but due to the fact that I don't know when I'll need to stop the script this has been ruled out. Thanx anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your best bet is probably to look into the tools that are designed primarily for Demo purposes such as DemoShield, ScreenCam, etc.
    You may want to check out a sample demo/tutorial on QA Partner (now SilkTest) done by Tony Venditti which is available here at BetaSoft links.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also imbed your script with the
    Agent.DisplayMessage(sTitle, sMessage)

command at the points that you want to stop the script Click OK to continue and Cancel to end the script execution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a strange, but workable solution.

Create a visual basic app which displays a dialog off screen, but responds to a specific keystroke. Have Silk invoke the app at the appropriate places in your demo script, then wait in a while loop until your dialog disappears.

Someone who's good at VB could write this very easily and quickly.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com