Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interacting with Modal popup on a web application

Hi Folks,

I ran some extensive searches in the forum and did not find any posts relevant to the issue I am running into. Hope someone can be of help.

Our web based ecom retail site AUT has a plethora of modal pop up boxes all over the site and I am trying to automate the regression testing of these modals.

The problem I am running into is that SilkTest does not recognize these modals as any window or browser child type, but clubs it together with the parent browser where the modal was invoked (by clicking a link/image).

I would highly appreciate if anyone who may have run in to this situation and has worked around it can provide some assistance to me.

I can provide more detailed info regarding my application if some one is interested in this challenge.

Thanks!
    -Shree

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interacting with Modal popup on a web application

Mostly modal dialogboxes will be the first dialogbox/moveableWin in the system. You can declare a general window for modal dialogbox and you can write few more functions to close these dialogboxes on different screens.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interacting with Modal popup on a web application

In addition to palani's comment, you can inherit the class HtmlImage/ HtmlLink and make it as a class for your clickable object identifier. You can override the click method to handle the modal dialog boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interacting with Modal popup on a web applicat

Thanks Guys!

Palani - the modal box on my application is not the first dialog box. Its only invoked as a "helper" function on the page for a user, what I mean by that is - for e.g. "Forgot Password" link, "Not a member" etc will launch a modal pop up for the user to interact with - mostly enter an email address to get info back. If you are interested/curious, navigate to http://www.ruelala.com and check out the links on the page. This is my AUT.

Voks - Thanks! good idea, let me give it a shot, will give feedback on how I make out.
    -Shree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interacting with Modal popup on a web applicat

Not much help - but this is how I worked around it:

After spending an inordinately long amount of time trying all combinations of inheritence and extending classes/objects I gave up, broke down and went the easy route.

Invoked the modals as a user would do normally, captured the details using window identifier and pasted into my script directly. Script looks ugly, but works like a champ.

I hope to spend some more time next week to see if I can kind of take the raw window identification parameters and define a new class with it and de-normalize it.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers!
    -Shree