SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannot use DialogBox window declarations

In our aut, whenever there is a dialogbox to confirm or reject something, we would like to be able to have a separate window declaration for each, in order to make the code more maintainable (I really dislike having MessageBox.OK.Click() all over the place, because it is so ambiguous as to what is happening there). In the MessageBoxClass entry in the language reference, it says that "if you have an explicit declaration for a specific messagebox, silktest uses it instead of the generic messagebox declaration". It is this bit that isn't working - if we have a window declaration for a dialogbox of this kind, then silktest will always see it as MessageBox at runtime, and the script will fail because it 'fails to find' the window the script is referring to. And then, infuriatingly, the recovery system has no difficulties spotting and closing the dialog.
    Has anybody else had this problem?

P.S. I am running Silk 5.0.1, an an aut written in Visual Objects. My guess is that it is one of the many places that silk doesn't quite get things right with apps written in this language, but I was wondering if it was more general, or if there was a known workaround.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cannot use DialogBox window declarations

Using SilkTest 5.0.3.1 we are seeing a similar situation using a VisualBasic 6 application. But it appears to be a little different then your description.

1. We record a new Test Frame file for the project. During that process Silk creates the generic MessageBox declaration using the following syntax:

2. We then record window decs for a unique dialog, who's WindowID is $MessageBox, but which has a unique Caption tag. Silk records, using the dialog's Caption for the tag:

3. At this point we can hand code, but not record, 4Test statements which interact with the OpenCourse dialog at runtime--the recorders and recovery system always refer to the OpenCourse dialog as the default MessageBox. This isn't really so bad, and many applications under test can probably live with this situation.

If you find a way to declare the tag, such that the records, recovery AND runtime all work correctly using the dialog's defined name please post it here. [Be aware that there are some tag techniques which I have tried that allow the recorders to work, but then the dialog is not recognized at runtime].

-fyi, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm trying a fairly extreme solution - comment out the MessageBox declaration, and replace every call to MessageBox with a call to a specific, separately declared dialogbox.

This does seem to be generally working so far - certainly nothing has complained about the MessageBox declaration being missing, in compilation, in recording, in runtime, and in particular in the recovery system. I might actually recommend this to all new users of silktest, because it is does make code more maintainable when every reference to a dialogbox is nice and unambiguous.

The only thing I haven't tried is recording testcases, because we don't use that functionality of silktest, but I will have a go with it and see what it comes up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing I do when creating a new frame is get rid of the generic message box declaration. Silktest does not rely on it being there for recovery. It will use the default options for closing a message box or dialog box that are in the runtime options if it can['t figure out what else to do with it though.