SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Tagging choking on page w/Javascript

I have been using a custom tagging function to create browserpage tags for pages with identical captions but non-identical contents (see topic of 10-18-00: Agent not recognizing....). The tags have been working for the first few pages of my application but the program stalls when it activates a popuplist linked to radiobuttons that use Javascript onBlur and onFocus functions. Agent seems, when it encounters this function, to act as if the custom tag for the browser page is no longer applicable and returns the else statement for the custom tag "#999".

I note that there are a number of postings in the past that address similar issues but I lack some of the background knowledge to apply them to my situation. If anybody sees the common thread or knows a solution...

MichaelH
    mhoexter@g1440.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Custom Tagging choking on page w/Javascript

Oh..I forgot to say that I'm using IE5 VO and SilkTest 5.0.3.1..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the problem you may be having is with the pop-up objects not being recognised as a part of the current active browser(page, window, frame)

I'm not sure if you will be able to resolve this using VO when there are objects that are generated on the fly by Javascript.

Another posiblilty is that the Objects when generated are falling both inside and outside of the active window. If this is the case Silk may be confused as to what the belong to. If you use a strong tag and a DOM WindowID tag for the object in the include file, Silk is more likely to "get it" when it is trying to resolve these problems.

You might also find that Monkeying with the options may help, but I prefer to stay with one set-up so I can figure out if it is my code or tha app that is giving me problems in very difficult situations.

I don't know if this helps at all, but you are right that there have been many dicussions Start with Silk Doesn't Recognise or Control Not Found/Responding etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In hovering over the control with Record, Window Identifiers, how does Silk pick up this control? or is there a URL where we can see the page? However recorder picks up the object will usually determine the correct tag (but not always...)
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt,
    The recorder is unable to read the page-level ID's as you mentioned in the other thread because it is unable to used the custom tagging function for the page-level object. I have changed the child-level tags to reflect exactly what the popuplist and radiolist are read as by the recorder in the format: (Caption|#Index). This has returned the same failure of the appstate during the Select for the popuplist.

The failure point looks like this in HTML-Javascript:
    //The script
    //script language='javascript'
    //function pwPreDefQuestion_onBlur() {if (frmRegister3.pwPreDefQuestion.value != '00') {frmRegister3.pwQuestionType['0'].checked = true;}

//function pwQuestion_onFocus() {if (frmRegister3.pwPreDefQuestion.value == '00') {frmRegister3.pwQuestionType['1'].checked = true

//The HTML objects
    //The RadioList indicating password recovery question type:
    //input type='radio' name='pwQuestionType' value='0' checked /td d class='type1' width='250'>Select your password question from
    //the list below /tdtd class='type1'
    //The popuplist
    //select name='pwPreDefQuestion' title="Select your State" onBlur='javascript: pwPreDefQuestion_onBlur()'option value='00'--Select--//optionoption value="What is my pet's name?"What is my pet's name?//optionoption value="What's my spouse's Name?"What's my spouse's Name?optionoption value="What is my favorite food?"What is my favorite food?//option elect
    //span class='type1err'span

//The text field for user-defined password recovery question
    input name='pwQuestion' maxlength='50' size='45' title="Enter the password recovery question you'd like to use" value="" onFocus ='javascript wQuestion_onFocus()'
    span class='type1err'/span

What this code does is automatically shift the radio button to either user-defined or pre-defined password recovery questions if the user either selects from the popuplist or enters text in the user-defined textfield.

If I do not have it change the radio values directly, the Agent is able to select the popuplist value I have stipulated for the select but then the script fails. If the appstate manipulates the radiobutton (i.e. the user preselects whether to use preselected choices or open-ended ones) directly first before moving on to the popuplist, the Agent fails before it can change the value of the popuplist.

The Agent returns this error message:
    [ ] *** Error: Window '[BrowserChild]#999' was not found
    [ ] Occurred in Select
    [ ] Called from Register3 at C:\Mysite.inc(8390)
    [ ] Called from main at $ScriptMain(2)

[This message has been edited by MichaelH (edited 10-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MichaelH (edited 10-27-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael,

may need to clean up your posted msg -- it contains chars which are tripping up the html and destroying the form :-)

anyway, a few jscript alerts later, you can get the control identifier also by using Record, Window declarations.
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found a work around in which I use TypeKeys rather than the SetText method. TypeKeys apparently interacts with the HTML popup better than SetText.