Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ShellExecuteW - nothing happening at all?

I need to start up another application in some of my tests, and I need it to pretty much hang around running in the background as my tests run. It is a windows application.

I have been trying to use ShellExecute for this task, but no matter what parameters I pass, the test passes but no application appears.

Here's my call:
    ShellExecuteW (0, "open", "TMSTestApp.exe", "", "C:\Program Files\MATRA Systems\FREEDOM-POS\App Runtime\bin", 0)

I've tried a lot of different things, like specifying the full path with the name of the exe. Moving the test app into a directory in the path. That kind of thing.

Am I just mistaken about the purpose of this call? Just for fun I tried using SYS_Execute but that was clearly no good for my purposes. I also tried reading window declarations on my new application and using MyWindow.Start (but start wasn't defined.)

I realize this is a very noob question but I've put this problem off far too long!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: ShellExecuteW - nothing happening at all?

Not a function I use regularly...but you have the final parameter (fsShowCmd) set to 0 which will hide the application.

See this kb article.

regards
    Peat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: ShellExecuteW - nothing happening at all?

ARGH, thanks *so* much. I hate that the Microsoft documentation lists the names of the enums and not the actual vaules!