User Tag List

Thread: Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions

I've been evaluating the different automated testing software packages for a couple of months now and we've narrowed the field down to Silktest from Segue. It seems to be best suited to our testing environment, but before we can make the final buy decision I need some help clearing up a few little details.

1. We require the use of a second agent to control a remote machine during testing and I need to know the limitations of the Agent software. Can they be contacted by the Host machine via the Internet from anywhere or do they always need to be on the same subnet (as mentioned briefly in the help files)? Are there some functions that the Agent cannot perform or has trouble with?

2. How robust are the database connection capabilities? What is required to connect to an SQL-based database from a Host computer?

3. Are there any other training options available besides Segue's extremely high-priced training courses? (ie third-party courses, Computer-based training, or tutorial books) Canadian options would be nice.

Any help with the above questions would be much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by mhemmings (edited 10-18-2000).]

Re: Questions

Hi,
    First I don't want to spark "Silk Worth" here.I feel Software ,its advantage and disadvantage are important issues,but main question who will drive it? It is very hard to find a good tester who can achieve Goals. Don't take it wrong. If some one can not utilize 70% of functionality,and use time to write script for small things,and spend time to solve the problem, you have to think again.Specially when you haven't make deceissions.
    Let me know whats your training requirements,I will try to help you.

userk53@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply to 2nd question:

The robustness of the database connectin capabilities is pretty good in my experience. Examples:
    - We have scripts which open a connection to a datasource and then perform many thousands of queries on it. No problems encountered in this kind of extended load.
    - We have (many times) submitted sql queries with syntax errors. Silktest will fail on the DB_Execute command, giving the error message that the odbc driver gives back to it. It does fail nice and cleanly, but the usefulness of the error reporting depends on the odbc driver you are using.
    - Multiple simultaneous connections to the same or to different datasources have been know to work without any problems.
    - Multiple simultaneous queries through the same database connection work fine (when using multi-threaded testcases in which all the threads share a common database connection).

The database connectivity is at the core of the testing of our aut here, and has been used a lot, and we find it satisfactory. There are known problems, the most significant of which is a problem with the accuracy of floats returned to silktest. Details of this can be found at http://testmap.home.mindspring.com/t...stMap4TestTips though I don't know if segue plan to get it fixed ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original Question:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    1. We require the use of a second agent to control a remote machine during testing and I need to know the limitations of the Agent software. Can they be contacted by the Host machine via the Internet from anywhere or do they always need to be on the same subnet (as mentioned briefly in the help files)?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Answer: You have two protocol choices for control of your remote Agent: TCP/IP and NetBIOS.
    NetBIOS is only available for Windows clients, but it is extremely efficient and reliable and it causes a minimum of interferance with your AUT's use of the network.
    The NetBIOS protocol is an old Windows protocol which is strictly limited to machines on the same subnet.
    Choosing the TCP/IP protocol removes the subnet limitation if the routers on your network are setup properly.
    I have always found that the TCP/IP link is not quite as stable, however.
    I seem to get intermittent Agent connectivity problems that I believe are related to the AUT's simultaneous use of TCP/IP.

Are there some functions that the Agent cannot perform or has trouble with?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It depends on what kind of application you are testing.
    SilkTest is very fast and stable with AUTs written in C++ under Windows.
    For Java, it is very slow and troublesome, but is getting better, and is probably the best there is at this time.
    For Visual Basic/ActiveX apps, SilkTest is relatively stable, but the documentation is nonexistent.

2. How robust are the database connection capabilities? What is required to connect to an SQL-based database from a Host computer?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If SQL Plus can connect to your database, SilkTest can also. You will need to spend some time creating SilkTest methods to execute appropriate queries and load the results into data structures for your test. A year ago Microsoft issued an ODBC update which caused me some since the AUT and SilkTest installed different, slightly incompatible versions of the driver.

3. Are there any other training options available besides Segue's extremely high-priced training courses? (ie third-party courses, Computer-based training, or tutorial books) Canadian options would be nice.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Everyone I know that ever went to Segue's classes was very disappointed.
    From what I understand they spend a lot of time on SilkTest's "record" and "playback" capabilities which result in unmaitainable tests.
    They also concentrate on the use of the ".pln" or plan format. There is a long thread in this forum discussing this.
    Like all tests methodologies, there are situations for which the plan is well suited, and others for which it is not at all appropriate.
    In any case, it has nothing to do with the 4Test language, remote agents, and database capabilities; the things that your people will really need to learn.

I recommend leveraging SilkTest's Object-Oriented capabilities to make easy to use, maintainable testware.
    SilkTest's O-O capabilities are excellent, and are very similar to Java.
    I think a lot of automated test engineers would benefit far more from a basic Java O-O class than a much more expensive SilkTest class.

My current contract will be completed in January or February. I have never seen Nova Scotia yet.
    I might be convinced to spend a few weeks there to do some on-site training :-)
    -Rob
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automation Expertise Inc http://www.automationexpertise.com offers onsite SilkTest training classes using your application. The manual and all class exercises are done using your application.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com