Thread: LAB SET UP

LAB SET UP

Hi,
    I have to set up a LAB for Silk and Load Testing.Right now there is NO QA
    environment. I looked performance user guide.Now question is how we set up
    whole environment.I knew that there should be a controller,and 4 agents
    .Agents are WIN NT,WIN2K,WIN 95,WIN 98,and UNIX.Controller should be WIN NT
    4.o with SP 4.0 and above.
    Do we need a web server to put our qa build?
    Can we use File server for QA Build and map its IP address?
    Where we have Data bases.
    Do we need a MODEM connection ?
    Do we set up LAN independent to our Corporate LAN.
    Incase if we have independent Lan environment do we need COM Server,File
    Server in addition to Web server?
    Where we have COM DCOM?
    I think we can test 250 on one agent,what should be configuration for agents
    and controller(RAM,HD,CPU,SOFT WARES)
    If you have any lay out for your organization, or know any place where I can
    look these issues,please let me know.

Thanks
    userk53@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: LAB SET UP

Many questions here and I hope to tackle most of them.
    --------------------------
    In general we run our test scripts from each client seperate of the built in network support in agent. We found that the tests are more reliable this way, as apposed to kicking scripts off remotely.
    --------------------------
    1. "Do we need a web server to put our qa build?" We setup a "Build" server where we prop all our scripts to the various clients on a corporate LAN (to provide source control). Each client has a full install of Silk and we execute them directly from the client. You want to minize dependancies on network conditions. As a result, none of these are needed:
    2. "Can we use File server for QA Build and map its IP address?"
    3. "Where we have Data bases."
    4. "Do we need a MODEM connection ?"
    5. "Do we set up LAN independent to our Corporate LAN." -- Best solution
    6. "Incase if we have independent Lan environment do we need COM Server,File
    Server in addition to Web server?" -- This is purely dependant on the application you are trying to test. Web server is generally needed for web testing, of course. Plus whatever you environment needs to support your application. In addition, you may want to have multiple environments to support various types of testing. We have a regression cluster for full regression passes against the latest builds of our product. then you should have a "Current" environment at the minimum to support what the current application is running in your live environment. That way you can support testing in a seperate environment for hotfixes to your live code. This is just a minimum as you could have other clusters setup for other types of testing, such as load testing.
    7. Where we have COM DCOM? -- Depends on your app, not sure why this relates to testing with Silk.
    8. I think we can test 250 on one agent,what should be configuration for agents
    and controller(RAM,HD,CPU,SOFT WARES) -- Silk is a memory hog. We run PIII 350mhz machines with 64, but prefer 128 megs of ram. HD space is dependant on how you image your boxes. You should be able to store machine images as to be able to "Roll back" when extra apps, mostly for debugging, like VC++ or something is installed on them. Here is how we do it for our clients running Silk.
    1. Install an OS to C, at least 2 gigs(Win2000, NT4, Win95, or Win98 -- depending on the need for the machine)
    2. Install an OS on D, at least 2 gigs (use this OS for admin partition to backup your OS / config from C). To image the OS, simply copy the OS and all its contents to an E partition, at least 4 gigs, with file copy in explorer to a compressed NTFS folder. That way you can have multiple images per box.
    3. To restore an image, simply delete all the content on C, from D, and copy the content from the image file back to C. There are tools out there to do this type of thing, but they don't help save in that much disk space. The advantage to using them is minimal.
    ----------------------
    Web / other servers for your product.
    1. Install NT4 / Win2000 on C, at least 1.5gigs -- this becomes your Admin partition from which you copy images from.
    2. Install your produciton image, NT4 / Win2000 to D, at least 3 - 4 gigs.
    3. Create an E partition, at least 4 gigs to store images in an NTFS compressed folder.
    4. To restore your image, boot to C, format D, and copy the Image files back to D and reboot.
    ---------------------------
    Running Win2000 Server for your server images on both partitions, you can use terminal server to remote connect and restore images to a box. Just switch the boot.ini on C to switch to the correct OS, so you end up in the right place after reboot.
    There are many assumptions here as your notes don't fully explain how and what you are setting up for an application. As long as it is Windows based, you can do all this quite easily. Let me know if that answers any of your questions and if you would like more info or more specific details, email me at djgriffith@hotmail.com and we can discuss this further off line.

------------------
    DG
    DG

Re: LAB SET UP

Hi DG,
    Thanks for your answer. Now I am starting to setup LAN, but will have some questions on the road.