User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source code control

I'm interested to hear how anyone has gone about setting up source code control for the 4test source they have developed and any problems they had with Silk files. I am looking at using an RCS system and would like to know how to handle diffs easily as the source keeps changing due to [+] characters being added when the outline changes. I'd prefer not to have to do a diff each time I search for something in the source.

Thanks,

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Source code control

I've had success in using several different tools for managing 4Test source code control. I've run into the same problem with diffs occuring simply because something is expanded or not. The quick way we got around this was to stress that before checking in any SilkTest file, the engineer had to run the Collapse All command. This way, we've been able to ensure some consistency, and general neatness to our files.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are currently wrestling with this diff problem with [+] and [-] expands. Aside from the pragmatic suggestion by BostonSilk above, you *might* have the option of specifying what diff utility is integerated with your code control tool.

For example the project I am on uses the Perforce code control tool and it allows you to optionally specify a diff utility other than the one provided by Perforce. On the Unix platform they have done this, and use a diff tool that highlights only character diffs, rather than highlighting the entire line when chars are different. I also think they can filter out some char diffs [which would be perfect for SilkTest source files].

Unfortunately they have not found a diff tool that integrates with Perforce on the Windows NT platform and only highlights char diffs. But perhaps someone is aware of such a utility on Windows?

Depending on your code control tool this might be an option.

-fyi, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've enforced the "compile, collapse, commit" strategy for my project.

Before everyone was collapsing files before checkin, the major headache for me was automatic code merge by CVS on a non-collapsed Silk file. It caused many conflicts that had to be reconciled manually.
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad to hear that you've been using CVS as that's an option I'm considering. If CVS can auto merge easily then that will help.

Has anyone tried the PCVS integrated solution the manuals talk about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use VSS, which can be a shotty tool at best, but it seems to work great for our needs. We also enforce a "Collapse All" on the files before checkin and have seen no issues using VSS as a result. Hope that helps.

------------------
    DG
    DG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the PVCS plug in about 2 yrs back and it worked. where i am now, we use VSS so dunno if this is still true w/current pvcs tool.

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use "expand all". Why do you guys use "collapse all" ?
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same diff (pun intended)

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all .. I could preety easilly write a tool that sweeps through all files and collapses them (in python). I have to write it anyway (for my group). I think the requirements would be for the tool to run under a specified local directory and all sub dirs looking for files like *.t and *.inc (or types specified in a profile.ini file). This way before you check in your files run this puppy and it collapses them all for you.

I am preety sure I could package it to run in the windows environment .. anyone interested? Let me know and I will put in in downloads (in about a month .. honest).

Also in a response to cradley.I like to collapse the views as well. I think it looks a good deal less "cluttered" that way (Jeez esp on frame files!)

But if your group "digs" expand that is just fine. As long as you stick to the convention, so the merge process does not pick up on deltas between expansion and contraction.

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 10-20-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast