Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mis-declaration of HTMLlistbox as HTMLPopUp.

I'm having problems with a HTMLListBox which is being declared as a HTMLPopUp... therefore I can not make multiple selections and do the things that I should be able to do with it.

Can anyone help me in correcting this? I did have a go at class mapping to try and add the properties of a ListBox to a PopUp, but it don't seem to work and it is the first time I've really attempted anything to do with class mapping.

Attached is the extraction of the HTML source that produces the ListBox (of course there is more to the actual page).

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This was declared in ST 5.0.3 and 5.0.3.1 with IE5 DOM on NT4.

[This message has been edited by Beeblemaster (edited 09-27-2000).]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Mis-declaration of HTMLlistbox as HTMLPopUp.

You can *try* mapping the object back to its correct class. Say for example SilkTest sees and incorrectly records an HtmlTextField as an HtmlPushButton:

HtmlPushButton myPassword
    tag "$password"

You can force SilkTest to interact with the object as an HtmlTextField by altering the declaration as follows:

HtmlTextField myPassword
    tag "[HtmlPushButton]$password"

The reason I said *try* above is that you can now use all methods supported for an HtmlTextField object on myPassword, but Silk may still balk, either throwing some type of exception or silently completing the method call without performing the requested action. In those situations this technique does not help you.

But give it a go on the misbehaving HtmlListBox and then try some HtmlListBox method calls.

-fyi, Terry Horwath

[This message has been edited by Terry Horwath (edited 09-27-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Terry, but it doesn't work.

Just tried that... get a Window mismatch error, which is the same as what I was getting when I tried class mapping.

I remember either me or a team member using your method on another object a while ago and it worked.... can't remember what sort of object, but obviously doesn't like listboxes.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

Cheers.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If the page containing this listbox is publically available please provided the URL. I will then experiment with it.

-fyi, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cheers, Terry.

Unfortunately the page is not available for public access, but I have captured the source and attached it here (as a txt file).

I've spoke to Segue support and they have told me that it is a bug in the software, and that it will go to development.

Appreciate your help.

[This message has been edited by Beeblemaster (edited 10-04-2000).]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Good sluething Robert!!

Note1: I am using SilkTest 5.0.3.1, IE 5.01, and the DOM extension.

Note2: In the HTML syntax below ignore the SPACE character after each "<" and before each ">" char; these are needed to get them to display on this forum [does anyone know how to turn OFF HTML interpretation?].

I made Robert's suggested change to Beeblemaster's Html.txt script's first listbox and it is now seen by SilkTest as an HtmlListBox object:

HtmlPopupList: < select multiple name="vendor_moduleIDs" >

HtmlListBox: < select multiple name="vendor_moduleIDs" size=5 >

This is good to know, as this little ditty is waiting to burn anyone using the current release of the SilkTest. Beeblemaster, seeing that you have a bug open with Segue on this, please pass this "workaround" on to them--but hopefully this will be fixed in a future release of SilkTest, as the "multiple" attribute is the proper indication that this is listbox and not a popuplist [while SilkTest is not suppose to "read" the Html source, its clear from problems like this that it sometimes "acts" as if it does!].

On a Related Note...

I have encountered other problems of this nature with my current client's [internal] web site. In many of these cases the actual HTML source code has either been plain bad HTML syntax, OR [more often] syntax that is not sensible but permitted by the HTML standard [at least as described in the O'Reilly "Html--The Definitive Guide", 3rd Edition]. The browsers are so forgiving with mangled Html syntax that the developer often does not realize there is a syntax error because the desired look and feel is presented by both Netscape and IE. SilkTest on the other hand [at least when using the DOM extension] stumbles on some of these syntax oddities. If you are interested you can evaluate one of these "nonsensical, but legal" Html syntax errors which causes Silk to fail to even "see" some objects embedded in a table at:

www.lakefolsom.com/testpages/index.htm

Then run Silk's Record Identifiers or Record Tags tool against both the Page4a and Page4b frames. All objects in the table are visible to Silk on Page4a while only some are visible to Silk on Page4b. The difference between these two pages? Page4b has an unterminated < tr > [table row] tag:

< tr >
    < tr bgcolor=#cc0000 >
    blah...
    < /tr >

The workaround is to remove the first nonsense < tr > [or to terminate it with a corresponding < /tr > ].

The bottom line: use some type of good Html syntax checker is you are having object recognition problems with SilkTest--especially if you are using the DOM extension. Pay attention to the warnings from that tool, as the above problem is "legal" in the strictest sense but certainly not "good practice" nor sensible.

-fyi, Terry Horwath

[This message has been edited by Terry Horwath (edited 10-03-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Someone in my group was having a similar problem, so I tried to find the expected mapping between HTML tags and Silk classes. I found out by trial and error how a <SELECT> tag maps to HtmlPopupList and HtmlListBox classes:

Silk calls this an HtmlPopupList
    <SELECT> </SELECT>

Silk calls this an HtmlListBox
    <SELECT size=10> </SELECT>

But I never could find a simple list in the Silk documentation. Instead of just naming HTML tags, it refers to things like "the list box in a Web application." Is there a more explicit map somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, that was interesting. The forum didn't let me attach a file, so I included some HTML in-line and discovered that it gets interpreted. It looked good on USENET, though!

What it was trying to show was that a select tag with no size (i.e., drop-list style) is considered an HtmlPopupList, but one with a size (i.e., listbox style) is considered an HtmlListBox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cheers guys.... Have spoken to the developers and have asked for this to be added to the code.

Our site is built using XSL and they use a HTML renderer, which just chooses a default value if none specified, so therefore nice and easy to fix.

Thanks for the good advice, really appreciate it.