SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are window tags for URLs cropped?

I am having trouble creating window declarations for a web-based application. I am using Silk 5.0.3.1, IE 5.0 and the DOM extension.

Presently the pages don't have titles, so i need to use the URL's to identify them. However they are long, longer than 64 characters which is what SilkTest crops them to. I've restored a couple of the URLs, but they still don't work. I'm wondering if Silk is internally cropping them in comparison. Note, however, that BrowserPage.GetLocation returns the full URL.

For example, The top of the captured window declaration looks like this

[+] window BrowserChild HttpLabApp2WhisperwireCo
    [ ] tag "$http:??lab-app2.whisperwire.com:8080?oceancamp?main.jsp?ww_v= ag"
    [+] parent Browser

But the full URL looks like this. And the interesting stuff is all the end.
    http://lab-app2.whisperwire.com:8080...eeds&ww_f=home
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Why are window tags for URLs cropped?

Never used a location tag except to identify images and didn't hit this limit.

As an alt solution, is there a unique identifier on the page itself that you could use to do the slash tag trick?

e.g.

tag "[BrowserChild]#1/[HtmlHeading]A page title of sorts/.."

(last two dots = after identifying the object, return handle to its parent)

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beats the Hell out of me, but I opened an issue with Segue on this in Silk 2.1.4 and have never seen it resolved, however they have managed to break it on and of by havening the URL disappear as the Windows ID tag in versions 5.01, 5.02 but re-appear in ver 5.03 (DOM Only).

BTW, you can Wildcard the tag, so if the middle part is unique without the ASP parameters just insert a star at the end of the .asp. I do it like this
    tag "$htt*?folder?subfolder?file.asp*"

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 09-26-2000).]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use of a URL as a tag is unreliable due to the 64 char truncation described in this thread. Wildcarding will not get around that limit--by this I mean that you can not get more chars of signficance at the end of the URL string by wildcarding earlier portions.

It is really too bad that Segue does not address this limitation [I too logged it as a bug/limitation a long time ago], as it is the perfect method to deal with title-less pages. Unfortunately the URL unique pattern often starts at character 40 or 50 and extends beyond char #64 [with the intervening server and root directory values being those you want to wildcard out].

The "includes" tag definition described by Matt above has been the only reliable workaound we have found--when the developers can not or will not title the page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry,

I didn't mean to imply that you could extend the reach of the tag by wildcarding on the end, what I was trying to say is that the parameters sent to an ASP page aren't required or always unique.

I hadn't known about the includes tag method mentioned above (and It would have saved me a whole lot of grief a long time ago) but I will use it when I need it.

Maybe you or Tony M. can get Segue to fix this to a reasonable legnth, I don't have enough pull (licenses) over there to get them to fix it. It is severely limiting in web testing because so many objects and frames do not have clear text identifiers. The DOM setting seems to help, but using VO sometimes has it's advantages.

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 09-27-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the background info. Yes, i am using 5.03 DOM. I got the developers to add window titles. So i don't have to deal with this problem anymore.
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should the tag "[BrowserChild]#1/[HtmlHeading]A page title of sorts/.." trick also work for a MainWin tag?

I'm trying to automate Network Neighborhood and have trouble when the view changes to a server. The tag is [DialogBox]Network Neighborhood. When I view a server it changes to [DialogBox]ServerName. I've tried using [DialogBox]#1/[StatusBar]$40961/.. but this doesn't seem to work as when I record testcases the GUI inc is not used.

I know I can use the full explorer view and select network neighborhood from the Folders pane but I'd really like to be able to just start Network Neighborhood. Any ideas?