SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

window declarations - YOUR results

I've been having difficulty recording window declarations for some of our "bigger" web app pages. I've tried recording using both VO and DOM technologies. Attached are my window record results (vo_dom.inc). Also, I've attached the "problem" page (rename "fourthchannel customer wizard.txt" to "fourthchannel customer wizard.html").

Try recording your OWN declarations against this html page and creating a simple script that populates each text field. Did it work? What am I doing wrong?

FYI...I'm using Silktest 5.0.3 "out-of-the-box".

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: window declarations - YOUR results

Damian,

I don't think you should have to much trouble with this page. I have Emailed you a doc I use for naming conventions in 4Test that may help make the include file more readable to you.

Now for what I would change after you simplify the objects names.

Get rid of Index Tags wherever posible. They should only be used as a last case in Silk when ther is no other way to idenify an oblect.

Everywhere you have a tag that uses a URL in the tag, wildcard it down to the unique part of the tag itself.
    e.g., tag "http:??server?directory?subdirectory?repository?o bject.whatever?userid=USERID" should be reduced to:

tag "htt*repository?object.whatever?*"

This way as you move things from Developement to Staging to QA to Production, the tests can be reused without major problems.

BTW another hint, When an Image is used as a control button (with javascript in the background) often that image will be named "Button_On.gif" and "Button_Off.gif" depending on if the mouse pointer is over it or not. I would just use the tag "Button_*.gif" for both objects instead of defining it for both On and Off. It is often hard to determine what state the image will be in when Silk tries to access it.

As for setting text in the TextField Objects on your page, if you are recording your scripts, edit out all of the SetActive and ClearText and coordinates within remaining lines. Just use the SetText ({sSTING} or "TEXT_HERE")

Hope this helps.
    Tom

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 09-25-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your reply!

The control button (background java script) suggestion was great...thanks!

However, I'm not having so much trouble with the naming conventions. I always edit my Window Identifiers, use variables and NEVER record scripts.

I've given up on the DOM extension and am concentrating on getting the VO extension to work.

My problem lies in how Silktest is seeing some of the textfields. Why does it get a valid caption (tag) for the first "company name" textfield (CompanyName12), but has some bizarre caption for the 3 Fax Number textfields (ie: N12)?

When I write a simple script that attempts to populate every textfield, some odd things are happening that seem to be based on screen resolution:

Even weirder...if I run in 1600x1200 screen resolution, when Silktest attempts to populate the N61 HtmlTextField, instead, it will populate the N22 HtmlTextField!

I wrote a new (qaSetText) method derived from Silktest's SetText Method that basically: "Tabs" forward one field, "Shift-Tabs" back and then performs a regular SetText. This workaround seemed to do the trick, but I'm still wondering what the heck is going on...

I'm still researching the problem...

[This message has been edited by Damian Synadinos (edited 09-25-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fax number thing N12 is because this is the 12th textfield on the page where Silktest could not pick up a valid text identifier. In other words the "+" is not valid as the name for an object so Silk calls it Number 12 (N12) before you go nuts creating functions for setting text based on the TAB order (which will change as soon as someone adds another textfield) try getting rid of all index tags where they are not needed. If that doesn't do the trick Monkey around with some of the timing settings in the agent, mainly retry intervals for window and application. If that doesn't work, try fixing the browser window size in the include file.

If that doen't work make sure that the page is fully loaded before Siltest is attempting to load values into the textfields (remember if it is using Index and all items of that type not fully loaded on the page the index will be wrong). I have a function I wrote that checks for the mouse pointer state and waits until it changes to something else. I find it handy when I have troublesome pages provided the developers have correctly handled the cursor states. I use it to check for when the APPSTARTING cursor state goes away.

BTW It could be a Browser OS combo problem as well. What are you running under? I have found it much easier to get good tags with DOM than the Old VO scheme. Maybe you should try the patch Silktest 5.0.3.1

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 09-25-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that it is named N12 because it is the 12th textfield on the page. I guess my question is: how does Silktest (using the VO extension) detemine "valid text identifiers"? Why does the "company name" textfield have a caption (text identifier) of "company name", but the "Fax number - country code" textfield does not have a descriptive caption? Is it something within the HTML? I thought this was only with the DOM extension...

Also, for the time being...for testing purposes, I am using a static html page (like the one included in my original post). Therefore, it could not be a loading issue.

As I said above, my OS is WinNT 4.0 server w/ sp5. I'm using Silktest 5.0.3.1. I'm using IE 5.00.3105.0106 (IE 5.01 sp1).

I've included 2 files for examination:
    internetexplorer.inc.txt and internetexplorer.t.txt (rename them appropriately after downloading). Load the original HTML page (see oroginal post), add internetexplorer.inc to Runtime Option/Use Files, and run internetexplorer.t. What happens?? Resize the browser and try again. Maximize the browser and try again.

I am convinced it is an issue with the browser size/screen resolution. Simply changing browser size or maximizing the browser before running a script seems to affect the outcome.

Thanks for your help...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Why does the "company name" textfield have a caption (text identifier) of "company name", but the "Fax number - country code" textfield does not have a descriptive caption? Is it something within the HTML?"

I think you will have a problem with the Fax/Phone number fields in both VO and DOM because if you look at the source it looks like the text above the fileds is in a separate table from the textfields (or if not it has been defined as a single column within a multi column table, but I am not an HTML programmer). I believe Silk looks for the closest text to a textfield in order to name it, by first looking within the Row (to the left), and then looking above it. The problem is that it finds the "+" and that symbol can not be used as the identifying name, hence the "N" designation.

I don't think you should be having any problems with the environment you have. Maybe so others here can give some other feedback? In fact I'm a little suprised that ther haven't been other responses.

I'm not sure if you have gotten rid of all of the un-needed Index tags, but I have found that to be a big help. Resolution or Window size should not cause a problem with Silk, but it is more likely to using VO. If I have some Time I will re-work or create a declaration for the page and see what happens here. I am a little jammed right now so It may be a day or two.

Good Luck,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    I think you will have a problem with the Fax/Phone number fields in both VO and DOM because if you look at the source it looks like the text above the fileds is in a separate table from the textfields (or if not it has been defined as a single column within a multi column table, but I am not an HTML programmer). I believe Silk looks for the closest text to a textfield in order to name it, by first looking within the Row (to the left), and then looking above it. The problem is that it finds the "+" and that symbol can not be used as the identifying name, hence the "N" designation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!!! This is EXACTLY the type of answer I've been looking for. I don't know how to code/read HTML, but I'll have someone else take a look at the page.

As far as browser size is concerned...this is interesting:
    I have an app (ResizeIE) that will resize a browser to simulate a certain screen resolution. I'm currently running in 1600x1200. Using this app and Silktest (VO extension), I recorded the same HTML page (from my original post) 3 times:
    1) maximized (1600x1200)
    2) 800x600 (browser has horizontal scrollbar)
    3) 800x600 (browser horizontally resized so scrollbar disappears)

I compared each .inc file and found that each one was different!

I think I may try messing with the DOM extension some more...

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to help. BTW have you tried not using the resize app and recording the frames? If you have, do you really need to use this application or resize for your functional testing? I could see using it with the Bitmap tool to verify appearances, but the functional aspects of the UI should be the same regardless of the resolution, except maybe scroll bars which could be verified without running the full suite of regression tests. Email me with your number if you would like to discuss some of the reasons for this methodology, I'm curious.

Tom W.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like running in 1600x1200 (can fit more stuff on the screen), which is why I use the IEResize app. However, even when I change my screen resolution to 800x600 and record window declarations, I get strange results.

I currently have an open case with Segue regarding these issues. According to my tech support contact, "There have been problems before when a testcase was created using one specific resolution, and then it was replayed using a different resolution. Sometimes, objects could not be found, wrong
    data was being entered, etc."

For the time being, I have decided to stick with 800x600 resolution with the browser maximized.

Thanks for your help!