SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest -vs- Robot

Does anyone have a detailed comparison between Rational Robot and Segue Silktest that they can share with me? If you can please respond back as soon as possible, thanks.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silktest -vs- Robot

The easiest comparason:

SilkTest (need to know C and some OO)
    Robot (need to know Basic)

Robot has more GUI interaction where Silk is script interaction

Find out how many people use Robot in your area and how many use SilkTest... That helps when you want to recruit more people.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the basic difference (I am a VB programmer and a 4Test programmer). I was looking for a written side-by-side comparisin between the two products, ie:host/target, programmatic functionality, etc...

Thanks
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott

As far as I know there is absolutely nothing out there like what you are asking for. I think at some point everyone in this forum who is Senior has been asked to evaluate EVERY combination of tools.

Fact is the market really isn't very favorable to test automation companies, that do technical comparisons. I have seen Segue and Mercury Interactive "pander" to the record and playback "pack" for close to 3 years now.

Quite honsetly if such a study were to have been done, I am about 99.8% certain that this forum, or one like it which I susbscribe to would have picked it up.

Everytime I ask Segue or WinRunner (the supposed Top Dogs) about any of these product comparisons they give me a "subjective" white letter attack against the other products.

Being familiar with both products yourself
    (as you stated) I am sure you have an opinion. I assume you are just looking for some "official" ammunition, for your Boss or Bosses Boss. Personally (if this means anything to you) I think Segue is a much better product, than Rational.

I know this really does not help all that much, but it is a fair asessment of objective test automation comparisons that exist, in todays market place.

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 09-13-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the reply, I believe Silktest is a better product as well. My manager has requested this information from me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had several managers request this of me. The answer is that there is not anything available that would not be biased toward on tool or the other, because it would likely originate from one of the companies. In addition, if such a comparison were available it could be reliable for a very short time - only until the next provider put their next version out. And finally, the most important information is REALLY how does each work with your development environment and your app.

AJ's response is about as much as I would rely on for a generic comparison. The first time I evaluated the big 3 tools my recommendation was Segue because we inteded to have programmers using it and it was the most (by far, at the time) programmatically powerful and thus the one they would prefer. The second time (different company) I teetered between Segue and Mercury for 6 months then we finally chose Segue because the UI across the product was more consistent and would thus be easiest for people to learn and use. The third time (different company again) the deciding factor was the development environment and the AUT itself - Silk just worked better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually, I did a side by side comparison of these two products (4 or 5 years ago) and sent a copy to DeAnna S. (when she was at Segue...the time when Support was still good). That was for the earlier versions of the two products QA Partner and SQA Robot. At the end of the evaluation periods, we ended up choosing QA Partner.